• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Trespassing Class B Misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iLoveMyZ

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I recently went biking with a friend around town. Just biking everywhere, wherever. No real route planned out. We were passing through a university we frequent and saw the stadium gates were wide open so we went in. We laid our bikes down on the turf and walked around a bit. There were some rooms that had the lights on, TV on, doors open, etc. We walked in not thinking of anything at all. There was an office that was open with the lights on and I just walked in for literally 2 seconds and got out. I didnt touch a single thing. As I walked out a campus officer questioned us. Long story short, they held us in their PD dept. for 3 hours before fingerprinting us, taking pictures of us, and sending us to the county jail where we spent another 14 hours. The charge: criminal trespassing.

We both have no prior criminal history. Both wearing bike jerseys with nothing of theirs in our pockets. My jersey was bright yellow. Our bikes together are worth more than $5000, etc. Yet they claim we were trying to steal stuff. They said we broke in and turned the lights/TV on but they acknowledged there was an event just recently that night. We cooperated 100%. We didnt run, shout, resist, or anything else negative. Our requests to call parents/family were denied.

Long story short.. our court date is the upcoming Tuesday. What are the chances this will be dismissed? the report the DA got said we were rummaging through office papers! thats ridiculous! what can we do?

JETX

iLoveMyZ said:
What are the chances this will be dismissed? the report the DA got said we were rummaging through office papers! thats ridiculous! what can we do?
Based on your report, and their claim that you were 'rummaging through papers' (correct or not.... the mere fact that you WERE trespassing doesn't help!), I think it is highly unlikely that the charges will be dismissed. In fact, I would predict that you will be found guilty of the charge(s) filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">