• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal trespassing/skating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hendrix88

What is the name of your state? GA

I am a rollerblader in the small town of Statesboro GA. The other night while sitting and talking at our town's judicial anex with a friend we where aproached by an officer. He rode by first, only to come back around and park the car towards us*. Because I had previous warnings for being there skating I was arrested and now face a court date with criminal trespassing charges. (our town does not have a skatepark) *it's on camera from his vehicle that we were sitting down, not even standing up.

My whole issue is that the officer never actually saw me or my friend actually skating. He was a newbie cop (no stripes or signs of rank), apparently bored. There are no "no trespassing" signs, or any other indication that we simply couldn't be there.

I'm pretty sure this is violating my rights.

I'm 19 years old living on my own with a full time job.

Could someone please tell me what to do?

Some Random Guy

Because I had previous warnings for being there skating I was arrested and now face a court date with criminal trespassing charges.
And that is your notice that you were not allowed to be on the premises with your skates on. No signs are required. Being told directly to your face is much more authoratative than a simple sign on a post.

I'm pretty sure this is violating my rights.
Your right to be where you were told not to be? No such right exists
Or the "right of the people peaceably to assemble"? Well you weren't told not to go to the judical annex, just not to skate there. Feel free to explain to the judge that you weren't skating, that you had not skated to the spot you were at but that you were wearing roller blades.

Could someone please tell me what to do.
When kicked out of a place, don't come back or else it is trespassing.
If you don't like the laws then lobby to have them changed.
If your community needs a skate park, then organize to build one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">