• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Trespess To Land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tep619

What is the name of your state?Illinois

Friday night I was at a bar and a bouncer asked me to leave because I was too intoxicated. I walked to the front door with him and fell down some stairs near the door. Two bouncers then jumped on my back and called the police in to have me arrested.

I cooperated with the police and went quietly. I was arrested for Criminal Trespass to Land and then relesed within a couple hours.

I am wondering how serious of a crime this is going to be. Do I need to hire a lawyer? Can I just contact the DA and ask for the charges to be dropped? What kind of punishment am I looking at if convicted?

Thank you for your help.

Happy Trails

tep619 said:
What is the name of your state?Illinois

Friday night I was at a bar and a bouncer asked me to leave because I was too intoxicated. I walked to the front door with him and fell down some stairs near the door. Two bouncers then jumped on my back and called the police in to have me arrested.

I cooperated with the police and went quietly. I was arrested for Criminal Trespass to Land and then relesed within a couple hours.

I am wondering how serious of a crime this is going to be. Do I need to hire a lawyer? Can I just contact the DA and ask for the charges to be dropped? What kind of punishment am I looking at if convicted?

Thank you for your help.
What is the code on the citation or paperwork?

tep619

I'm not sure about the code. I have a Notice To Appear that says:

Persuant to Chapter 725 ILCS 5/107-12, you are hereby notified to appear in the Criminal Court Room ####, on ##/##/##, at##:##AM Hrs. to answer charges of Criminal Trespass to Land.

At the above time and place, you will be given a formal complaint and further be advised of your legal rights. Should you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued in which case you will be taken into custody.

I'm not sure if that helps.

Also, how do I go about getting a copy of the police report. Can I just go to the police department and ask for one?

Happy Trails

tep619 said:
I'm not sure about the code. I have a Notice To Appear that says:

Persuant to Chapter 725 ILCS 5/107-12, you are hereby notified to appear in the Criminal Court Room ####, on ##/##/##, at##:##AM Hrs. to answer charges of Criminal Trespass to Land.

At the above time and place, you will be given a formal complaint and further be advised of your legal rights. Should you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued in which case you will be taken into custody.

I'm not sure if that helps.?
That's just giving you notice to appear:

(725 ILCS 5/107‑12) (from Ch. 38, par. 107‑12)
Sec. 107‑12. Notice to appear.
(a) Whenever a peace officer is authorized to arrest a person without a warrant he may instead issue to such person a notice to appear.
(b) The notice shall:
(1) Be in writing;
(2) State the name of the person and his address, if known;
(3) Set forth the nature of the offense;
(4) Be signed by the officer issuing the notice; and
(5) Request the person to appear before a court at a certain time and place.
(c) Upon failure of the person to appear a summons or warrant of arrest may issue.
(d) In any case in which a person is arrested for a Class C misdemeanor or a petty offense and remanded to the sheriff other than pursuant to a court order, the sheriff may issue such person a notice to appear.

Criminal trespass under (720 ILCS 5/21‑3) (from Ch. 38, par. 21‑3)
(Text of Section from P.A. 94‑263)
Sec. 21‑3. Criminal trespass to real property.

Is a Class B misdemeanor. Penalty for a Class B misdemeanor is a sentence of imprisonment up to 6 months and/or up to a $1500.

Also, how do I go about getting a copy of the police report. Can I just go to the police department and ask for one?
You can ask for one, but they may not allow you to obtain a copy. If that is the case, hire an attorney; he/she can get it.

Last edited:

tep619

So do you think I should hire a lawyer now, or wait until after my initial court appearance to decide?

This is only the second time I have ever been in trouble with the law outside of traffic tickets. The first time was a bar fight in which I got all charges dropped because 2 of the 3 guys who jumped me had outstanding warrants for their arrest.

Should I try to talk to the DA my self or just bite the bullet and hire someone?

Thanks again for all your help.

HomeGuru

tep619 said:
So do you think I should hire a lawyer now, or wait until after my initial court appearance to decide?

This is only the second time I have ever been in trouble with the law outside of traffic tickets. The first time was a bar fight in which I got all charges dropped because 2 of the 3 guys who jumped me had outstanding warrants for their arrest.

Should I try to talk to the DA my self or just bite the bullet and hire someone?

Thanks again for all your help.

**A: you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">