• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this a criminal violation? CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vipergt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
had lots of problems with a specific neighbor any ways, i was doing minor "auto repair" on my car behind my gate, away from public view. start the car, has a legal exhaust bellow the decibel limit, 20 minutes later cops show up. I started the car at 530 pm. Next thing you know i get a ticket from the officer for 21.15.290(b) LBMC car work on prop. with the M circled for misdemenor. i read the code it was written for major auto repair. I could not find the consequence for breaking this code violation, and im pretty sure its a $500 civil fine but i am un aware. IF someone could enlighten me i would greatly appreciate it.

CdwJava

Here is the offense:

21.15.290 - Auto repair, minor.
A."Minor auto repair" means a place performing the following repair and maintenance services for motor vehicles:
1. Tune-ups. Major and minor tune-up involving spark plugs, points, condensers, valve adjustment, carburetor overhaul, adjustment of fuel injection systems, fuel pump and all necessary filters;
2. Lubrication. Oil changes and filter replacement, transmission and rear end oil change;
3. Cooling System. Remove and replace radiator and repair of same (not including core repair or replacement); replace water pump, heater and other hoses; replace thermostats; recharge air conditioners;
4. Drive Train. Replacement of transmission and motor support mounting; replacement of driveshaft universal bearings, center support bushing, accelerator and brake cables; minor repair of hydraulic systems; replacement of shock absorbers;
5. Brakes. Remove and replace shoes and brake pads; rebuild master and wheel cylinders and disc caliper; adjustment of brakes. Machine work related to turning of drums or discs;
6. Wheels. Adjust steering box; replacement of rubber bushings in suspension; wheel balancing; replacement of wheel bearings;
7. Electrical. Charge battery; remove, repair and replace starter, alternator, generator and regulator; rewiring of automobile and lights; repair or replacement of gauges; installation of radios;
8. Fuel System. Change gas tank; change and repair of fuel lines; replace fuel gauge sending unit; tail pipe and muffler replacement.
B. "Minor auto repair" does not include:
1. Cylinder head replacement;
2. Valve grinding or replacement;
3. Clutch replacement;
4. Repair, replace transmission, rear end, rear axles, king pins;
5. Body work;
6. Engine replacement;
7. Repair of fuel tank;
8. Radiator or heater core repair or replacement;
9. Painting;
10. Fender repair;
11. Engine or transmission removal; or
12. Repair activities that require entry into the engine other than those specifically listed as approved as minor automobile repair.
C. Any activity combining any activity in Subsection 21.15.290.A with any activity in Subsection 21.15.290.B shall be defined as "major auto repair".
(Ord. C-7663 § 2, 1999; Ord. C-6533 § 1 (part), 1988)​

And, the penalty:

21.10.080 - Penalty for violation.
A.
Any violation of the Zoning Regulations, including maintaining property in violation of this Title, is a misdemeanor and upon conviction is punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or by imprisonment for a period of not more than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. The existence of such a violation for each and every day after the notice of a violation has been served shall be considered a separate and distinct offense. The City Prosecutor shall prosecute all persons guilty of such violations by continuous prosecutions, if necessary, until the violation is abated or removed.​

Whether you would be convicted or not depends on what was observed, reported, and confessed by you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">