• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cross-Border Restraining Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trent2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ontario, Canada. For the past 3 years, a fellow in California has been continually harassing my family and me over the Internet, mostly through blogs and message boards. This person is making up all kinds of lies about several members of my family. I emailed a request to this person to stop this this behavior, which I am guessing is an informal Cease & Desist.

Since the person who is harassing me is in California, I was wondering what my options are, especially since I am a broke student who can't afford the airfare, accommodations, court fees, and possibly lawyer fees.

I'd like to know if I can get a TRO from Ontario. If I have to get one from California, then I was wondering if it could be done by proxy by the police or a lawyer in California. I have a mountain of evidence that I could send down there.

I'm also wondering if an injunction would be a better alternative. I know almost nothing about American law.

Any help would be appreciated to make this horror stop.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ontario, Canada. For the past 3 years, a fellow in California has been continually harassing my family and me over the Internet, mostly through blogs and message boards. This person is making up all kinds of lies about several members of my family. I emailed a request to this person to stop this this behavior, which I am guessing is an informal Cease & Desist.

Since the person who is harassing me is in California, I was wondering what my options are, especially since I am a broke student who can't afford the airfare, accommodations, court fees, and possibly lawyer fees.

I'd like to know if I can get a TRO from Ontario. If I have to get one from California, then I was wondering if it could be done by proxy by the police or a lawyer in California. I have a mountain of evidence that I could send down there.

I'm also wondering if an injunction would be a better alternative. I know almost nothing about American law.

Any help would be appreciated to make this horror stop.

What exactly is being said?

What have you done to prevent contact?

Changed email addresses? Stopped using the forums and blogs?

(see where I'm going with this? :) )

CdwJava

A restraining order just is not going to work for you. If you could get one issued in Canada it would have no legal bearing in CA,and vice versatile. Since the crime is occurring in Canada because that is where you are receiving the communication, presumably, that is where you would have to make the report. There are options the Canadian authorities could take, but for harassment online? I would not count on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">