• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curbstoning - Curbstonee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoherms

MY husband and I live in Grand Prairie TX,
November of 2015 We made a deal to purchase a Ford F150 Dual Cab pickup truck for $4500 tax and license included from a man going by the name of Sama who led us to believe that he was licensed dealer who also ran his own auto shop, we made a down payment of $1000 cash on it we have a receipt with the Name Turry’s on it, we had possession of the truck waiting for the title, when Sama contacts us and tells us he cannot sell us the van because the title is stamped for Mexico, (A month and half later we saw that same truck parked in the Turry’s lot for sale) he will find us another vehicle, he finally found us a 2007 Ford Freestar Van transferred the $1000 we paid on the truck to the van we have made 4 payments of $300 dollars to date and we have receipts our understanding was that he came into the van after the owner brought it in for repair and then could not pay the repair bill, January 20th I got stopped and was given a ticket for having a dealer plate on the vehicle when I should have had a buyer plate. We finally got Sama to contact us when we told him we had his money, we showed him the ticket and told him that we needed a buyer plate, he said he would get us one we are still waiting for it, all we get out of him when can get a hold of him is next week.
We filed a complaint with the DMV who called today and told us that what Sama did is ‘Curbstoning”
That the vehicle appears to have one owner and Turry’s appears to be a lienholder he recommended we go and talk to the dealer and then file a police report and then go on to file for a bonded title.
The vehicle in question may have mechanical issues the check engine light appears to be on.
We are taking it for an oil change tomorrow and will see what happens then.
My instinct is to get the vehicle checked out to find out what mechanical issues the van may have and take all future payments and put them in an account and hold them there until we get a buyer plate or something we can take to the DMV to register and title it in our name. There is supposed to be a procedure to go thru to do that legally but is could take a long time because paper work keeps getting lost. I have never felt that van was worth $4500.00.
My husband and I need that van my husband is in end stage liver disease and I need that van to take him to his liver doctor at UTSW and I also need that van for my job and I need that job to supplement my husband’s Social Security Disability Income (there is no public transportation in or around the City of Grand Prairie TX).

:(:mad::confused:

quincy

MY husband and I live in Grand Prairie TX,

... We filed a complaint with the DMV who called today and told us that what Sama did is ‘Curbstoning”
That the vehicle appears to have one owner and Turry’s appears to be a lienholder he recommended we go and talk to the dealer and then file a police report and then go on to file for a bonded title. ...
The advice offered you by the DMV seems good. Try that.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Try to run away from the deal as fast as possible by taking the DMV's suggestion.

In the future you should do business only with a licensed dealer to avoid this type of thing.

quincy

Try to run away from the deal as fast as possible by taking the DMV's suggestion.

In the future you should do business only with a licensed dealer to avoid this type of thing.
geoherms and her husband believed Sama was a licensed dealer. He sold the vehicle from what they believed was his own lot.

In the future geoherms should check the title of the car, the licensing of the dealer to make sure he is licensed, and they should additionally check the ownership of the lot, to see if the individual selling the vehicle is a curbstoner or not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">