• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cut phone lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jittery

What is the name of your state? WI

My neighbor cut my phone lines two times within a month. We went to the police, they went to the DA's office and got search warrant to search neighbors attic and verify. We live in a twin home and the phone lines go from D box on outside of neigbors side through their attic and through the firewall into our unit.
The search warrant found that he had indeed cut my phone lines in his attic.
This guy has a long criminal history that includes 6 sexual misconduct of indecent exposure, 5 burglary, was charged with 3 felonies and has served time. He was also ordered to undergo shock treatment and therapy for the sexual issues. This all happened in a different state.

Isn't it a felony to cut phone lines? How many felonies can someone have on their record? Will his past history have any bearing on the outcome of this case? The DA's office is the one filing the charges.

Thank you

bb_wolfe

Long legal story short: the next paperwork you need to be filling out would be the closing papers on a new home.

Sure you have damages, and he probably did something illegal, that's not my specialty. What IS my specialty is favorable outcomes to these conflicts. You'll save yourself THOUSANDS if you simply move. Take a loss on the house if you must, but realize that you're still saving thousands in legal fees.

Sorry your neighbor is an a$$hole but the way things work, you won't come out ahead financially with any outcome. Sorry.

I'd tell you this if you came to my office as well, I'd simply refuse the case and wish you the best in finding a new home. Sorry.

mykoleary

I'd actually suggest calling the phone company and asking how much it would cost to reinstall the wiring such that it did not go through another residence.

Selling the house and getting out may be one way, but you'd have to disclose this, and as a buyer there's no way I'd buy into living next to this jerk with the situation as it is. A live phone is too critical for emergencies...

J

jittery

I did request that the phone lines be moved, but that would mean digging up yards and street which would cost thousands and they wouldnt be able to do it until the ground defrosts.
They said that they could do a temporary line from the current D box around their home to my home, but because he snow blows his entire yard they fear that he would cut the wire again and claim "Ooops" with his snowblower. They also said a temporary would be open to his access and with his track record they wouldn't advise it as a better solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">