• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cutting and Injuring a Tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tragicstatic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi all, I am new to this website and not very knowledgeable in law besides the basic fundamental ones that I and most decent citizens abide by. I am here because I have some questions. After I describe myself and my situation, I think we all will have a good laugh.

I am 22 yrs old and have never had a thing on my record.
My parents are devout Buddhists who pray every single day.
I am a vegetarian of 3 years and I love nature and animals.
I am a female.

Recently I went camping with several friends in the Catskills in New York City coming from Pennsylvania. The camp fire was going and the meats were cooking as I stuffed myself with non-meat items. I found myself chopping the wood of what I believed to be a fallen tree as the broken branches near it indicated, I presumed, that it was dead. I had only been hacking away for a minute or two because I wanted to "try" when a ranger appeared in front of me without my knowing watching me go at it still.

I did not realize that what I was chopping was still attached by the roots and so what I was caught doing was destroying nature in a forest preserve. It was in the middle of the night, and as some others had been hacking away at the area, I myself did not survey what I was cutting until it was too late. Again, I had just taken the axe and had been cutting no more than two minutes before the ranger approached and started spewing words like "jail" and "forest preserve". Had I realized it was a living tree, I would not have dared to harm it.

The tree I was cutting at was basically a stump. The rest of it was lying nearby. It was a small tree. Its top, it seemed, had fallen over by nature. I didn't have time to comprehend everything as a friend had already started and I assumed he was cutting it for good reason. I was merely cutting at what he had started.

I don't drive a vehicle nor do I have a license because in the city I live in, it is easier to get around by the public transportation system. However, I was handed a uniform traffic ticket describing my charge that states "Cut and injure tree". I have many many questions.

Why am I being handed a traffic ticket if it does not involve a vehicle?
It says I am in violation of (section and subdivision): 9-0303.1
There is a vertical box that says "TR I N F" and "M I S D". TRINF is circled. What does this mean?
I can either return this by mail or in person. It also states that if I plead guilty it is equivalent to a conviction after trial. The fine will range from either $0-$200.

Should I plead guilty and deal with the fine? Is this a serious enough offense that I could be jailed if I do plead guilty? If I plead not guilty, will I have to defend myself in a court and would I require an attorney? Would you call this a felony? A misdemeanor?

I would greatly appreciate any opinions, advice, suggestions, or feedback. I am not sure how to handle this as this is my first time being in this situation.

P.S. They had my birth date wrong. For the year, it is filled out as "07". So that means I am either 101 yrs old or 1 yrs old. Is this detail significant at all?

Thank you for taking your time to read this. I would be so grateful for all the help I can get.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Hi all, I am new to this website and not very knowledgeable in law besides the basic fundamental ones that I and most decent citizens abide by. I am here because I have some questions. After I describe myself and my situation, I think we all will have a good laugh.

I am 22 yrs old and have never had a thing on my record.
My parents are devout Buddhists who pray every single day.
I am a vegetarian of 3 years and I love nature and animals.
I am a female.

Recently I went camping with several friends in the Catskills in New York City coming from Pennsylvania. The camp fire was going and the meats were cooking as I stuffed myself with non-meat items. I found myself chopping the wood of what I believed to be a fallen tree as the broken branches near it indicated, I presumed, that it was dead. I had only been hacking away for a minute or two because I wanted to "try" when a ranger appeared in front of me without my knowing watching me go at it still.

I did not realize that what I was chopping was still attached by the roots and so what I was caught doing was destroying nature in a forest preserve. It was in the middle of the night, and as some others had been hacking away at the area, I myself did not survey what I was cutting until it was too late. Again, I had just taken the axe and had been cutting no more than two minutes before the ranger approached and started spewing words like "jail" and "forest preserve". Had I realized it was a living tree, I would not have dared to harm it.

The tree I was cutting at was basically a stump. The rest of it was lying nearby. It was a small tree. Its top, it seemed, had fallen over by nature. I didn't have time to comprehend everything as a friend had already started and I assumed he was cutting it for good reason. I was merely cutting at what he had started.

I don't drive a vehicle nor do I have a license because in the city I live in, it is easier to get around by the public transportation system. However, I was handed a uniform traffic ticket describing my charge that states "Cut and injure tree". I have many many questions.

Why am I being handed a traffic ticket if it does not involve a vehicle?
It says I am in violation of (section and subdivision): 9-0303.1
There is a vertical box that says "TR I N F" and "M I S D". TRINF is circled. What does this mean?
I can either return this by mail or in person. It also states that if I plead guilty it is equivalent to a conviction after trial. The fine will range from either $0-$200.

Should I plead guilty and deal with the fine? Is this a serious enough offense that I could be jailed if I do plead guilty? If I plead not guilty, will I have to defend myself in a court and would I require an attorney? Would you call this a felony? A misdemeanor?

I would greatly appreciate any opinions, advice, suggestions, or feedback. I am not sure how to handle this as this is my first time being in this situation.

P.S. They had my birth date wrong. For the year, it is filled out as "07". So that means I am either 101 yrs old or 1 yrs old. Is this detail significant at all?

Thank you for taking your time to read this. I would be so grateful for all the help I can get.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: thank you for your heartwarming post. Now please follow posting instructions.

Last edited:

tragicstatic

I don't believe I deleted anything. I simply moved the question to the top for clarity although that was not what had ended up happening (sorry again!).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">