• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cyberstalking help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScaredSillyF

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am not sure I'm in the right place on this forum. I am completely at my wit's end and I need help. I have a cyberstalker who has bad mouthed me on the Internet and continues to harass me every chance this person gets via email or social networking sites like Facebook.

Is there any way to report this nut job to the authorities without this person finding out that I am the one who filed the report? Secondly, since the stalker lives in a different state does this make it Federal crime? Lastly, what type of evidence do I need to make my story stick?

I am scared silly

CdwJava

You cannot be an anonymous victim. If NJ has laws against annoying and harassing e-mails, then there may be something they can do. Unfortunately, if the suspect lives in another state they are not going to go arrest him. And it is not likely a crime to post annoying things on a social networking site. Now, if the posts give rise to a reasonable fear for your safety, then you might have a case of stalking, but if they are merely rude, annoying, or lies, then this is not likely to be a case that will go very far.

Report any suspect posts to Facebook see if there is something they can do.

Call the police and see if the content of the posts or e-mails rises to the level of a crime. If they do, make a report even if there is nothing the police will do about it. You might also seek a restraining order if possible.

Do not reply any longer to his or her e-mails - target them to go straight to your spam folder if you can.

Do not reply to any posts on networking site.

In other words, ignore the troll. Trolls feed on your ire and your response. Ignore them and they tend to eventually go away.

dkettell

Do you know the person in real life? If so, call the police where the person lives and send them the e-mail content. They might not directly alert the individual, but there is a record for your safety, and a paper trail for any future harassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">