• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a 16 year old in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

petew2003

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?
In Virginia, is it illegal for a 26 year old to "date" a 16 year old, even if they don't have sex?

I know they have you be at least 18 to have sex, but I can't find any information about just dating...

If it is legal, what would they be allowed to do? i.e. hug, kiss...

Also, how old does someone have to be to get married in Virginia?

Thanks,
Pete.

HomeGuru

petew2003 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?
In Virginia, is it illegal for a 26 year old to "date" a 16 year old, even if they don't have sex?

I know they have you be at least 18 to have sex, but I can't find any information about just dating...

If it is legal, what would they be allowed to do? i.e. hug, kiss...

Also, how old does someone have to be to get married in Virginia?

Thanks,
Pete.
**A: there is an old PA law on the books that restricts this sort of behavior.

H

hexeliebe

Really? Then why are so many 12 year-olds having babies.

I think you meant "you have to be 18 to legally have sex"...

But then, in some states, and in some positions, it's still illegal.

P

petew2003

I'm not sure where you see the number 12 anywhere in the question? Plus, unless the laws of physics have changed, the last time I checked you can't get pregnant if you don't have sex...

The question was: Is it illegal for a 26 year old to date a 16 year old, but NOT have sex?

If anyone knows the answer please respond. If you could provide some references of where you got your answer that would also help.

Thanks,
Pete.

H

hexeliebe

Hey dumbass, I was referring to your statement that you have to be 18 to have sex. If you want to make a blanket, patently false statement like that then be ready to be called on it.

Now, why don't you call an attorney because you're getting nothing from this forum.

And yes, you will find that being 26 and "DATING" a 16 year-old will land you in jail. Go find out how.

JETX

"unless the laws of physics have changed, the last time I checked you can't get pregnant if you don't have sex..."
*** Actually, physics has very little to do with it.

"Is it illegal for a 26 year old to date a 16 year old, but NOT have sex?"
*** No, it is NOT illegal for a 26 year old to 'date' a 16 year old as long as their is NO sexual contact.

"If anyone knows the answer please respond. If you could provide some references of where you got your answer that would also help."
*** Since there are no statutes allowing or prohibiting 'dating' (with no sexual contact), there are no 'it is okay' sites to refer you to. However, the childs (and that IS what she is) parents would have to be brain dead to allow you to 'date' their 16 (or even 18) year old daughter. So, definitely look forward to some very 'exciting' times when you show up to pick up your 'date'.

HomeGuru

petew2003 said:
I'm not sure where you see the number 12 anywhere in the question? Plus, unless the laws of physics have changed, the last time I checked you can't get pregnant if you don't have sex...

**A: there have been documented cases in the medical journals of pregnancies where there was physical contact but no intercourse between tthe couples.

The question was: Is it illegal for a 26 year old to date a 16 year old, but NOT have sex?

**A: yes, we got that the first time.

If anyone knows the answer please respond. If you could provide some references of where you got your answer that would also help.

Thanks,
Pete.

**A: I know the answer and I have the VA state statutes and case law.
So plan on keeping pete little.

P

petew2003

Thanks Jetx and Homeguru, that information was much more useful than hexeliebe's comments.

I would of course rather find someone over 18, but in Virginia, it's hard to even find a non-smoker, let alone one that's over 18, single with no kids...

C

coosi

I would of course rather find someone over 18, but in Virginia, it's hard to even find a non-smoker, let alone one that's over 18, single with no kids...

Sorry if this sounds rude, but if you are 26 and the only female you know that seems acceptable to you is 16, then you have some issues. You need to broaden your social sphere.

What can you possibly have in common with a 16 yo besides hormones?

P

petew2003

I doubt it will last more than a couple dates... But I might as well find out.
BTW, she found me.

If you have any suggestions on where to find single, NON-SMOKING girls over 18 in the Hampton Roads area I'm all ears...

C

craftymom

Have you not noticed the bazillion military bases in the area?

Those women would definitely be over 18, most likely not smoke (due to physical fitness), and the bonus--they have their own steady income.

H

hexeliebe

And failing that try blow-up dolls...they don't smoke, are ageless and match your emotional maturity

P

petew2003

Well it's specifically because of all these damn military people that it's hard to find anyone good. Most of them are smokers. Plus they're so unbelievably irresponsible that they sleep with every girl they find, don't use condoms and get them pregnant. Then run for the hills. That's why there's so many single moms around here.

And thanks hexeliebe. Your posts are always a delight to read.
With all that intelligence, it's a wonder you're not charging money for your answers... You should consider a career in law when you grow up.

H

hexeliebe

No thanks. I have a career as a father. And one who would kick the living $hit out of a 26 year-old trying to day a 16 year-old....

You're a sick puppy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">