• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dating site versus prostitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David Thompson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I would like to ask at what point an interaction between 2 adults on a social web site or dating site can cross the line to be considered a case of solicitation for prostitution. If 2 adults consent to meet and have sex with no prior discussion of money or gift exchange being a requirement for the sex, is that in anyway considered engaging in prostitution? If they meet and have sex then one adult says let me buy you dinner or fill up your car with gas, does that suddenly cross the line where by the one who offers can be charged with hiring a prostitute? Sorry if I seem like I am making a legal issue out of a simple thing where no problem exists. Thanks.

FlyingRon

S 230.00 Prostitution.
A person is guilty of prostitution when such person engages or agrees
or offers to engage in sexual conduct with another person in return for
a fee.
Prostitution is a class B Misdemeanor.

S 230.02 Patronizing a prostitute; definitions.
1. A person patronizes a prostitute when:
(a) Pursuant to a prior understanding, he pays a fee to another person
as compensation for such person or a third person having engaged in
sexual conduct with him; or
(b) He pays or agrees to pay a fee to another person pursuant to an
understanding that in return therefore such person or a third person will
engage in sexual conduct with him; or
(c) He solicits or requests another person to engage in sexual conduct
with him in return for a fee.
2. As used in this article, "person who is patronized" means the
person with whom the defendant engaged in sexual conduct or was to have
engaged in sexual conduct pursuant to the understanding, or the person
who was solicited or requested by the defendant to engage in sexual
conduct.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I would like to ask at what point an interaction between 2 adults on a social web site or dating site can cross the line to be considered a case of solicitation for prostitution. If 2 adults consent to meet and have sex with no prior discussion of money or gift exchange being a requirement for the sex, is that in anyway considered engaging in prostitution? If they meet and have sex then one adult says let me buy you dinner or fill up your car with gas, does that suddenly cross the line where by the one who offers can be charged with hiring a prostitute? Sorry if I seem like I am making a legal issue out of a simple thing where no problem exists. Thanks.
**A: post the website and we'll check it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">