• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Fish in Mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aedmonds374

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

OK I know this sounds ridiculous because it is... last Saturday; while my parents where out of town; had a dead gar (fish) put in their mailbox on top of their mail!! Along with two other neighbors mail boxes. I found the dead fish the next morning and was disgussed to say the least. But the mail was destroyed. I quickly was informed of a very likley suspect, since this kid admitted on his myspace status update that he had gone gar fishing the night this happed, and we live in a very rural area and THREE house between his and my parents were also vandalized with dead gar in mail boxes. I, along with the other three victims called our local sheriff's office to file a complaint, but after a day of no response I called to find out why. Shortly after my call I recieved a call from the deputy that I spoke to when I file the original complaint and she informed me that due to that fact that you can not put a value on "mail" they can not file any criminal charges... isn't this concidered vandalizim and tresspassing of federal property not to metion damaging of federal property "unopened mail" still in the mailbox? I am not happy with our local sheriff's department and want to complain but need to know what leg I have to stand on. Please advise.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would hope that the fish was dead, it couldn't very well be alive in the mailbox now could it?

Make a complaint through your postmaster. Local police have nothing to do with this.

CdwJava

As I doubt there will be forensic evidence on the fish, and it is unlikely that even the Postal Inspectors will invest any time or effort in an investigation, I doubt this will go anywhere.

Yes, the local sheriff's department could apply a small value to the damaged mail, but it would not likely be cost effective for them to scor the neighborhood looking for suspects. If they talk to the kid who claimed to have been fishing, is there a real chance he's going to suddenly confess to putting the fish in the boxes? Absent that confession, the investigation would be ... dead in the water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">