• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zhbolinger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year. Her last relationship was with a guy five years ago. He showed up to where we were hanging out Saturday night. He was heavily intoxicated. This guy has had three DUI's and two domestic battery charges on women. Anyway, before he left he threatened to kill me.

One: Should I do something about this? Possibly something simple like reporting it just so it's on record? Or do I blow this off and chalk it up to his being drunk?

Two: If/when this happens again, would I be breaking any laws if I were to call 911 when he left and report him as a drunk driver?

CdwJava

One: Should I do something about this? Possibly something simple like reporting it just so it's on record? Or do I blow this off and chalk it up to his being drunk?
What he did was probably not sufficient to be considered a crime, but if you fear that he might carry out some act against you, or that there might be future encounters, you might consider reporting it to the police anyway.

Two: If/when this happens again, would I be breaking any laws if I were to call 911 when he left and report him as a drunk driver?
Wasn't it merely coincidence that he showed up the first time? Isn't it unlikely to run into him again?

In any event, if he were to be obviously inebriated you can call the police to advise them of his driving while impaired, yes.

HomeGuru

OP, you should have called the cops at the time and filed a report of the threat. Filed a TRO. It does not appear that you are thinking clearly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">