• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death threat. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renaldoaoa

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I've been having problems with an ex for a while now and I was wondering what I could about being threatend of something happening to me to I'm going to be killed.

1st

After a text conversation that she and I had I got a text of..

Stop texting me before something bad happens that I have no control over. APR 30
At that time she and I were texting back and forth which she started but non the less that is what she text. I have this saved on my phone, but I'm not sure if this would constitute a threat.

2nd

Tonight her new boyfriend tried to start trouble with me and my friends at a local bar. I stayed away while everything was going on, but two of my friends went over when they went to the bouncer. In that conversation both of my friends and the bouncer heard the guy say... "I will kill him, I'll break both of his legs and make sure that no one would ever be able to find him". I'm taking this seriously, I havent had a wink of sleep tonight.

At the moment I really cant be mad at the guy because she's a cronic liar and shes into his head. I was there for 3 years so I know how she can minipulate, but the fact still remains that I was threatend and I'm worried for myself, my property, and my friends.

All of this is directed at her, him and certain members of her family.

Another thing is they both live less than 2 miles from (family included) me so theres a excellent chance that I'll run into them very often.

I thought about going to the police today and at least speak with them about this and at the very least get something down on paper; that way if something were to happen then I would have something on record of the troubles that Ive been having.

I've done my very best to stop all contact with her and it seemed to work for a while, but upon seeing her she/he seem to not be sastified with going our seperate ways.

What can I do (law wise) to protect everything/everyone for any harm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

garrula lingua

Any serious threat, I would report it to the police.

The problem, so far, is the BF hasn't threatened you, directly, from your post.
A threat to a 3rd party will hold up to crim prosecution, if it was meant to be conveyed to the person. However, I don't think the bouncer will attend court hearings to testify to what he heard & how the info got to you.

There's not much threat for you to report.
Your gut felling is probably right; just not enough for a case to be filed.

renaldoaoa

Thanks for the reply!!!

I see what your saying.

So my best course of action is to contact the police and give them my statement.
Should I also get the witnesses to go/call in their statements? Also give addresses and numbers of both of them? I'm just trying to prepair myself and to give them as much info as possible.

Also would I have any hope of getting a restraining order against either of them?

I just wish there would be something else I could do to try to... stave off what I see coming.

Thank you for your help!!

renaldoaoa

Also...

I know the bouncer in a round about way and Im pretty sure that he would go to court if nessary.
You still think it wouldnt be a good idea?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">