• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Threats?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kiki_strange

I live in Montana.

Here's a run-down of the whole scenario, as it is rather complicated.

I loan my 2 friends, L. & L. [ a male and female couple], a sum of 500$ to help them with fixing their car.
We come to a verbal agreement that they will pay me back within a month. Stupid me- I did not require them to sign a contract, but that is neither here nor there.
Yesterday night, someone broke into their house and I guess stole their TV.
L. [the male] called my phone and left a voicemail stating that he put a '100$ bounty on my head' and he was going to 'have my kneecaps broken'. I saved the voice mail, of course.

He then called me. I alerted him that I was recording the conversation.
During the course of the 20 minute + conversation, he threatened me on multiple occasions.
A few choice threats were 'I'm having military friends get on a bus, and they are coming to your door, right now, to snap your neck.'
'You need a bigger gun then AK-47 to stop these motherf*ckers from ****ing you up'
'Neither you or your boyfriend are going to be able to walk after my friends are done with you'.
'My friends have illegal guns that you can't buy on the market. Do you really think you are going to live through this?'

Now, I didn't take this kid's TV. He lives over an hour away from me, and both me and my boyfriend were working/ with friends all day yesterday.
On top of everything else, I'm pregnant.
My questions to you, awesome forum people, are this:
What is my legal recourse for taking action against this person? I feel that while he is hot-headed, my life may very well be in danger. Considering the fact that I am pregnant, this is causing me a considerable amount of distress. I, also, feel that his accusations of theft against me are bordering on slander. While he is not exactly an 'upstanding citizen', I am. I've never had law problems, anything of that nature, and frankly, dealing with this type of person is really far out of my league. Thanks for your advice so very much.

CdwJava

The first thing you need to do is call the police and make a report of the threats.

Second, you should seek a restraining order (or whatever your state terms a protective order) so that he cannot contact you or come near you in any way.

Third, you can pretty much assume that your "loan" is a bad debt. Unless you take them to small claims court, and can prove the money was not a gift, it is doubtful that this person will pay you back.

So, call the cops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">