• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death through Inaction laws - AZ and Federal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arik

Hello there,

I actually live in California, but recently, a rather disturbing story came to my attention (this is a true story).

A man was hiking in Arizona with a friend on his day off from work, when the two of them heard cries for help. The area where they were hiking was very remote with little to no traffic passing through it. They looked around and didn't see anyone, but realized that the cries are probably coming from a series of underground passages and caves, and that someone may be trapped there.

Instead of trying to help the person or at the very least notifying the authorities, the two men continued on their way, completely ignoring the pleas for help.

Several days later, one of them read a local newspaper article about a man that was found dead in a cave very close to where this man had been hiking.

So, chances are, if the man had stopped and called for help, the victim would have survived this ordeal. Instead, he chose to ignore the cries, and indirectly caused another man to die... death through inaction.

My questions are:
1) Are there any federal laws, or laws for the state of Arizona, that would make this a prosecutable offense, punishable by either a fine, community service, or jail time?

2) If this person is a college/university teacher, and is openly talking about this event with his students, does that change the situation in any way?
If anyone knows of any laws, be they federal of AZ state, or maybe some cases that would have set a precedent, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Arik

calatty

Sounds like first-year law school torts class, where you learn that no, there are no laws requiring you to rescue someone in need. You can watch a person drown if you choose to, even if you can swim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">