• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit Card Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just-me

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I am disabled. One of my neighbors often runs errands for me. I gave him my bank card to withdraw $90.00 for me to pay a bill with the next day. He did not return with my card and overdrafted my account $400.00. Can I have this person charged criminally for taking my money even though I authorized him to withdraw the $90.00? If so what would the charge be and would it be federal since I receive social security disability?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank YouWhat is the name of your state?

just-me

I wish I had done that. I contacted the bank and told them that I had authorized the one transaction. They said they couldn't do anything. I contacted the sheriffs office and they said I could charge him through the magistrates office. I spoke with a magistrate who also said I could charge him. When I went to file the charges a different magistrate said I couldn't charge him. That's why I am asking can I or can't I charge him. Just wanted to know if and what he could be charged with.
Thanks

gawm

If he took out more than you gave him permission to then you should be able to charge him. But can you prove how much you gave him permission to take out? Was not a very smart thing that you did.

just-me

:confused: After much discussion I have been told that he can be charged with misdemeanor larceny by the local sheriff dept and magistrate office which I will persue. It was recommended to do that to expedite repayment of my funds. He could have been charged with felony credit card fraud but that would not get my money back. I'm posting the results to possibly help someone else who may find themselves in a similar situation. Thanks for the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">