• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KatAngel

My husband and I recently left a metaphysical group to which we had belonged for over ten years. We not believe that the group used cult indoctrination techniques to attract and maintain followers, such as hypnosis, mind control, love bombing, loaded language, etc.

We have put tapes from the group for sale on ebay, stating our disbelief in the content, and that it is now our belief that this group functioned like a cult in our lives as we understand the definition of a cult or charismatic group. Our ebay sales link viewers to a website and discussion board where we have outlined our experiences and beliefs about the group.

The site is being scoured daily by at least one law firm. On the site we state that the content is our personal opinion and is not intended to be presented as fact.

This group is VERY wealthy and vindictive, we have reason to believe that they routinely use the services of high powered law firms to quiet any criticism.

How exposed are we to legal problems with this group?

Thanks for any help offered.

KatAngel

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Is there a real, viable, reason for continuing to "bump heads" with this group?

Is it your wish to be sued and go Bankrupt paying attorneys?

Just stop doing what you're doing, take down your website, and stop posting on Ebay. Leave them alone, and they will leave you alone. That will keep you safe.

Ever stuck your hand in a beehive?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

K

KatAngel

Yes, actually there is a reason for me to continue with what I'm doing. It's called self respect. I guess you don't understand that.

You seem pretty compelled to speak your mind regardless of who likes it. I wonder why you do that yet advise me not to? I have legal disclaimers on my site, the same as you have on your posts. How is what I'm doing any different than what you are doing except that I have a specific target and reason for my anger. You just seem to enjoy lashing out for the fun of it.

Are you here to help people, or just vent your spleen? You don't seem to like humanity very much.

Your input was most useless, only insulting, but of course that is your obvious goal here.

If you have any valid legal perspective from which you are giving advise would you care to share it?

Why am I facing bankruptcy, etc? Do you have anything valuable or interesting to contribute?

KatAngel

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KatAngel:
Yes, actually there is a reason for me to continue with what I'm doing. It's called self respect. I guess you don't understand that.

You seem pretty compelled to speak your mind regardless of who likes it. I wonder why you do that yet advise me not to? I have legal disclaimers on my site, the same as you have on your posts. How is what I'm doing any different than what you are doing except that I have a specific target and reason for my anger. You just seem to enjoy lashing out for the fun of it.

Are you here to help people, or just vent your spleen? You don't seem to like humanity very much.

Your input was most useless, only insulting, but of course that is your obvious goal here.

If you have any valid legal perspective from which you are giving advise would you care to share it?

Why am I facing bankruptcy, etc? Do you have anything valuable or interesting to contribute?

KatAngel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you don't get it, then no one can help you.

Is your intention to make money or to inform others of your concerns ??

Either way, they will probably throw the full weight of the law firm in your direction, bury you in motions, petitions, and suits for damages. You will end up having to pay a lot of money for attorneys and risk losing. If you lose, you will be ordered to pay a lot of money and maybe even to pay the 'cult' all the money made from the tapes.

Then, when it is all over, your attorney is laughing all the way to the bank and you have to file bankruptcy.. at least you will have your self respect in tact and I am sure it will provide for you and your family..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

You see, LegalBeagle, the "cult" taught this person very well over those 10 years. If it's the Church of Scientology, or that type, they teach each member that if they "perceive a threat or an attack" to go on the offensive and strike back even harder.

This person is a complete idiot. This person is always on guard and perceives "attacks" where there was none.

If you re-read my original response, I tried to suggest an easy way to be "safe". But, this person, being the complete idiot that he/she is, saw an "attack" and responded in the way he/she was taught.

With an attitude like yours, you deserve all the legal tribulations and expenses that you get. And, you'll get it too. Then, you'll be singing a different tune.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited November 02, 2000).]

K

KatAngel

So, this isn't a message board for legal advise, it's a bully free for all.

Listen pals, whatever problems I may have, I don't have the uncontrollable urge to spend my life haunting bulletin boards with the sole intention of insulting people.

Your behavior is appalling and inexcusable.

Don't bother responding, I'm unsubscribing. If I want to get mugged I know a few dark alleys I could hang out in.

KatAngel

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KatAngel:
So, this isn't a message board for legal advise, it's a bully free for all.

Listen pals, whatever problems I may have, I don't have the uncontrollable urge to spend my life haunting bulletin boards with the sole intention of insulting people.

Your behavior is appalling and inexcusable.

Don't bother responding, I'm unsubscribing. If I want to get mugged I know a few dark alleys I could hang out in.

KatAngel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You really have some emotional issues, don't you? A little paranoia, perhaps? Watch out for the Cult - - they are, in fact, watching you, and they will get you if you keep "pushing".

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">