• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Ottoman12

I live in California? Here's me problem.... My friend and I got kicked off this softball team that we've been playing for about 2 years. The coach e-mailed us three days after our last practice and told us he wouldn't be needing us anymore. I was very angered by this letter and e-mailed him back telling him what I thought of him. Well that was alright but because I was so angry I went a little further. I took a picture of his face that I had and put it on a picture of a man in a sexual position with another man. I then sent this picture out via e-mail to about 11 people that I know. He does not know all the people I sent the picture to. He only knows about about half. Only about four of those people play on the softball team if that makes any difference? That picture was only to be viewed by those people I sent it to. They were people that I thought were friends of mine. Well it turnes out that someone forwarded him the picture and he became quite angry. I heard that he was going to call his lawyer to see what kind of case he had against me. Now I know it was very stupid and childish of me to create this picture and then send it out. I did all of this right after I read his e-mail and was in a state of anger, and now regret that I did do this. Anyway my question is.....does he have anything against me that could stand up in court? If so, how much could he get from me?

Beth3

Yes, that was a stupid and childish thing to do. (Perhaps those attributes are the reason you got kicked off the team in the first place.) The legal question is whether the coach has suffered any damages as a result of your e-mail. He won't likely suffer any real damages (such as the loss of a job) but may be able to sustain some reasonable claim of injury to his reputation and so forth.

What you need to do at this point is write an abject and sincere apology, send it to the coach, and copy in the 11 people you sent the original e-mail to. That could go a very long way in making this go away for you.

HomeGuru

Ottoman12 said:
I live in California? Here's me problem.... My friend and I got kicked off this softball team that we've been playing for about 2 years. The coach e-mailed us three days after our last practice and told us he wouldn't be needing us anymore. I was very angered by this letter and e-mailed him back telling him what I thought of him. Well that was alright but because I was so angry I went a little further. I took a picture of his face that I had and put it on a picture of a man in a sexual position with another man. I then sent this picture out via e-mail to about 11 people that I know. He does not know all the people I sent the picture to. He only knows about about half. Only about four of those people play on the softball team if that makes any difference? That picture was only to be viewed by those people I sent it to. They were people that I thought were friends of mine. Well it turnes out that someone forwarded him the picture and he became quite angry. I heard that he was going to call his lawyer to see what kind of case he had against me. Now I know it was very stupid and childish of me to create this picture and then send it out. I did all of this right after I read his e-mail and was in a state of anger, and now regret that I did do this. Anyway my question is.....does he have anything against me that could stand up in court? If so, how much could he get from me?

**A: yes, he could very well stick it to you.

H

hmmbrdzz

I would advise talking to an attorney before doing anything.

hmmbrdzz

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">