• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of character-theft charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricochet34

What is the name of your state?WA

A friend of mine was arrested for theft from the company that he worked for. He has been charged but not convicted. The General Manager is telling everyone that works at the company that my friend stole $35,000 that is missing. He didn't do it. Can a lawsuit be filed against the GM and the company for defamation of character?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ricochet34 said:
What is the name of your state?WA

A friend of mine was arrested for theft from the company that he worked for. He has been charged but not convicted. The General Manager is telling everyone that works at the company that my friend stole $35,000 that is missing. He didn't do it. Can a lawsuit be filed against the GM and the company for defamation of character?

My response:

Then, what amount DID he steal?

Police don't make arrests without some sort of proof. Remember, the "information" has to go to the D.A.'s office, and there must be "provable" allegations "to make it stick". So, what amount did he steal?

IAAL

ricochet34

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Then, what amount DID he steal?

Police don't make arrests without some sort of proof. Remember, the "information" has to go to the D.A.'s office, and there must be "provable" allegations "to make it stick". So, what amount did he steal?

IAAL
There's proof that he stole $1600 but, he was also drunk when he stole it. He has since been to jail and rehab. He's been sober for 7 months. Isn't there some kind of privacy law that forbids the GM from telling everyone he took the $35,000 that they obviously don't know who did- defamation of character.

BelizeBreeze

Please tell your friend to use the following defense:

"Your Honor, I am filing this defamation action because the General Manager has intentional lied and defamed my good character. He claims, without proof, that I stole $35,000. I, in fact, stole only $1,600".

When the judge stops laughing he'll throw out the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">