• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the defense going to screw me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kriminel1985

What is the name of your state? florida
i am being summonsed into court in november to testify on behalf of the State of Florida vs. Jon Doe (name altered for confidentiality). i am concerned that the defense is going to try and twist the details, so to speak, and discredit my testimony. i am aware that this is their goal, but how should i go about testimony. my main concern is being so nervous that i say something the wrong way, and then it be used against me rather than on behalf of the State. i am just looking for some "been there, done that" advice. thanks for whatever you can give.

JETX

"but how should i go about testimony"
*** Do you feel that something you say could lead to YOU being charged with a crime??? If so, get an attorney. Otherwise, simply tell the truth on the stand.

K

kriminel1985

Advice taken. I am also concerned about the defense asking me a question which I have no idea the details of...if this happens, what should I do? Keep my mouth shut, or just simply say "I don't know"?

JETX

If you are asked a question that you truly cannot answer, say so.
From the nature of these questions, I feel that there is something else that is the REAL issue here.

K

kriminel1985

It's just that I've never been on the stand before, and I have no clue what to expect from the defense. I know what happened, and it's not that I am afraid to say what happened. When I gave my deposition there was one detail - and I mean ONE detail - where I testified one way when asked the first time, but then the details changed the second time I was asked the same quesiton. From the way the attorney responded to that difference, I'm completely scared of going on the stand. *Important note: the question was "at what point in time, Mr. Jones, did you realize the property was stolen?"...I wasn't focusing on this question or the importance of it when I answered the question. To put it simply, I am just plain nervous of going on the stand...not that I have anything to hide...I just don't know what to expect.

stephenk

here is all you need to know:

1. listen to the question;

2. if you dont understand the question, say so;

3. if you didnt hear the question, say so;

4. if one of the attorneys objects to the question, be quiet until the judge tells you to either answer the question or tells the attorney to ask another question;

5. only answer the question that is being asked. dont explain you answer unless asked to explain;

6. tell the truth.

K

kriminel1985

I suppose I should've taken mock trials in high school a little more seriously. I'm glad I've got a mom who knows a little something about law and criminal defense. I think I've got enough now that I know what I've got to do: tell the truth. Even if the defense twists a question around, answer it with the truth. At least I know that I can say "I don't know" if the defense asks a question from another galaxy.

D

dyinginside

just tell them your guilty criminal1985.

it will all be ok

K

kriminel1985

Why say I'm guilty when I didn't do anything? I'm the witness, not the suspect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">