• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delaying getting out of jail, parole max out.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msalino

What is the name of your state? NY

My son had violated parole and pled guilty receiving a max out date for Jan. 10, 2007. He didn't get released from jail until 13 hours later on the 11th. Is there any recourse against the state and if there is, how do we go about finding a lawyer to handle it. I's sure that this has happened before and was wondering if it's worth trying to sue?

Thanks in advance

CdwJava

Aside from the possibility that they can argue the calculations and hours to include the release date, what are his damages for the 13 hour delay? Did he lose housing or employment as a result of the delay? Was he otherwise damaged in some tangible way?

I would think that the damages would be so minimal that an attorney is not likely to want to take that on as the award would be minimal.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">