• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kongo

What is the name of your state? ca

I'm very confuse and need some help in finding a way to teach someone a lesson. I don't like the fact that anyone can get away with doing someone elses wrong. I moved out of my apartment last year and was suppose to get half of my share of the deposit back. I called and told my x-roommate several times and she told me that she'll send the check to me...it's been a very long long time now...she changed her phone number and moved out. I can't get in contact with her. How do I get my deposit back ???? Please help me...I know this might seem a little corny but imagine if it happen to you...what would you do?? I'm a fair person and I dont like anyone getting away with things like this.

Beth3

If she won't pay you what she owes you (and she clearly doesn't intend to), then your recourse is to sue her in small claims court. However if you can't locate her to have her served with papers - either for the hearing or for a judgement - then I'm afraid you're out of luck. You can only hope that what goes around, comes around and that somewhere downstream, she'll learn a lesson about being honest and fair with others.

Sounds like you're going to have to write this off as an unfortunate experience. Next time you're sharing an apartment, pay your portion of the deposit directly to the landlord so that your partial refund is made directly to you.

K

kongo

thanks

yeah i've been telling myself that but the thought of her getting away with my money is just not fair. the refund check was made to the both of us and not just in her name, so she cashed a check with both our names on it. I dont understand why she wouldnt give me my half...it's not like we were in bad standings when I left. our least was over and all. thanks for helping

HomeGuru

Writer, contact the landlord and ask for a copy (front and back) of the cashed check. Then nail roommate for forgery etc.

K

kongo

thanks that's exactly what i will do but how does that work...i get the papers from the landlord and what next???

HomeGuru

kongo said:
thanks that's exactly what i will do but how does that work...i get the papers from the landlord and what next???
**A: hire the meanest bulldog sob of an attorney.

K

kongo

that's just toooooooo funny....if i had the money i would....heheh... thanks anyways

K

kongo

i was thinking of just maybe doing it the ghetto way and get the paper work from the landlord and call the cops if she doesnt give me my money...but i must fine that bum first...i think i have an ideal of where she's at...but i would have to wait until summer to get her...she's still in Davis, CA and i'm in riverside, CA...so no matter what I am gonna teach her a lesson on being fair...

K

kongo

that's not what i meant by ghetto.....and one more thing, war is not the answer to everything.....

K

kongo

i am so so sorry....this is funny now....well it's my fault but hey i didnt know that ....so my bad

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">