• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dereliction of Duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Itchytoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

On the interstate a guy ran into me. State trooper responded and we gave our statements. While dealing with insurance I find out that the cop lied in the report about what he was told. What he wrote in the report about what I told him, isn't in any way what I told him. It's obviously causing problems with insurance, but that's a different issue. The cop falsified a police report by lieing which is dereliction of duty. If I'm not mistaken, that's a federal crime. Troop D's CO has been completely useless, as has internal affairs. In fact, nobody has even put enough time into it to be able to tell me what my complaint is.
How do you pursue dereliction of duty charges? Is it in fact a federal offence? If it is federal, the local FBI office would be where I should head right? I tried searching but it seems like having "dereliction of duty" in the search string only yields things about Obama and Clinton and junk that doesn't pertain to what I want.
TIA

FlyingRon

There's no such criminal charge as deriliction of duty and it wouldn't be a federal charge in your case even if it were. If you believe a police officer acted improperly, there are avenues through which you must proceed (you start with the internal affairs or whatever they call it in the officer's department).

Frankly, getting things screwed up on police reports isn't even close to actionable.

CdwJava

Unless you can prove an intentional lie by the officer, all you really have is a complaint about the officer's alleged inattention to detail. You do not have to put a name to it, you can simply describe the conduct and let them decide where it falls under their policies and procedures. They will then investigate and come to a conclusion one way or the other.

You can make a complaint by filing this affidavit:

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/ComplaintAffidavit.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">