• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperate here, (sort of) caught shoplifting, the 2nd time, the 1st time last October

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daniellliny

What is the name of your state?
New York

I cut the tags of 2 shirts(each around 70$) but then I put themback in the racks, but they saw me on the cameras.I damaged one of them - I saw that, but the other one wasn't damaged- at least I didn;t see anything, maybe the seam was disrupted but there was no tear or hole) I was arested and at the police station I found out I was also accused of stealing a pair of socks that were mine( they were thevery short socks used for sports- I had them in my jacket pocket, because I was goingto the gym and I went home to take them and put them in my jacket- I also had a bag with all sorts of stuff for the gym- snickers, ipod, pants, T shirt, the socks were in the jacket because from work I went home because I had forgotten to take the socks).
They say I cut the tags and threw away the shirts because I saw I damaged them and tried to leave the store. I was in the store for a while with the shirts and then I put them back in the racks, I didnt threw them on a floor. and the socks were mine, I dont know how I can proove that but on the other way they cannot proove I stole them because I didn't.
I was arrrested inOctober last year and did 2 days of community service and on the paper I have it says" one year period of conditional discharge and that I can do up to 15 days in jail if I dont respect the conditions of the discharge).
I didn;t really steal anything this time but I intentended to steal the shirts but than I got afraid and gave up.

I am not a citizen, I have a work visa, I am really desperate, I dont know if I should hire a lawyer or stay with the one from the Legal Aid Sociery. I never saw here, the trial is mid June, I never saw this lawyer, I only talked to her on the phone and she said that the outcome of the case will be the same. WHAT should I do? I am supposed to call again tomorrow to see if she has heard from the DA, I called her last week also and she had not heard from the DA yet.
The lawyer I had for the arraignmet was a little nicer,she asked me how important it is for me to stay in this country, I said very and she said I should concentrate on that.
I am VERY VERY scared of doing time and also scared to be deported, I was in this country for ~ 5 years.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.
I think I can be deported if I get convicted. I think the lawyer from the legal aid society isn't telling me all the options I have.
I would greatly appreciate any advice and sorry for the long post

HomeGuru

daniellliny said:
New York

I cut the tags of 2 shirts(each around 70$) but then I put themback in the racks, but they saw me on the cameras.I damaged one of them - I saw that, but the other one wasn't damaged- at least I didn;t see anything, maybe the seam was disrupted but there was no tear or hole) I was arested and at the police station I found out I was also accused of stealing a pair of socks that were mine( they were thevery short socks used for sports- I had them in my jacket pocket, because I was goingto the gym and I went home to take them and put them in my jacket- I also had a bag with all sorts of stuff for the gym- snickers, ipod, pants, T shirt, the socks were in the jacket because from work I went home because I had forgotten to take the socks).
They say I cut the tags and threw away the shirts because I saw I damaged them and tried to leave the store. I was in the store for a while with the shirts and then I put them back in the racks, I didnt threw them on a floor. and the socks were mine, I dont know how I can proove that but on the other way they cannot proove I stole them because I didn't.
I was arrrested inOctober last year and did 2 days of community service and on the paper I have it says" one year period of conditional discharge and that I can do up to 15 days in jail if I dont respect the conditions of the discharge).
I didn;t really steal anything this time but I intentended to steal the shirts but than I got afraid and gave up.

I am not a citizen, I have a work visa, I am really desperate, I dont know if I should hire a lawyer or stay with the one from the Legal Aid Sociery. I never saw here, the trial is mid June, I never saw this lawyer, I only talked to her on the phone and she said that the outcome of the case will be the same. WHAT should I do? I am supposed to call again tomorrow to see if she has heard from the DA, I called her last week also and she had not heard from the DA yet.
The lawyer I had for the arraignmet was a little nicer,she asked me how important it is for me to stay in this country, I said very and she said I should concentrate on that.
I am VERY VERY scared of doing time and also scared to be deported, I was in this country for ~ 5 years.
I think I can be deported if I get convicted. I think the lawyer from the legal aid society isn't telling me all the options I have.

**A: not to worry, just take the next flight back to your home country.

S

seniorjudge

daniellliny said:
New York

Q: WHAT should I do?

A: Go back to your native country. We have enough homegrown thieves.

S

seniorjudge

Q: WHAT should I do?

A: Go back to your native country. We have enough homegrown thieves. And don't come back.

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
If you're female and under 120lbs., you can always consider posing naked on the internet.

**A: that's no "get out of jail free" card.
And "looks" are very important over the internet.

You Are Guilty

HomeGuru said:
**A: that's no "get out of jail free" card.
And "looks" are very important over the internet.
If you really want me to prove that second sentence incorrect, let me know and I'll post a link or ten guaranteed to make you lose your lunch :)

daniellliny

Just to let know the idiots who answered my thread, it was considered just a violation,so it will NOT stay on my criminal record. I had to serve 2 days of community service and that's all. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">