• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was detained not arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Betterday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A few weeks ago I was in a park for lunch in my car. I was swarmed with cop cars and held at gun point and handcuffed. Cops said that they were looking for someone meeting a girl for sexual favors for money. They took my phone and replied to the email from their phone and waited for it to show up on my phones email. This never happened. They then searched my car looking for another phone I guess. After about 30 mins they had me sign the Miranda rights and apologized then let me go. I was pretty shaken of course.

About 20 days later the detective called me and verified it was me and said something about supena my phone records. Just wanted to make sure they had the right number.

I feel very nervous as to what is going on. Any help?

CdwJava

There is no way we can possibly know what is really going on. I suspect they think you are involved in something greater than simple solicitation ... or, they are after someone else that you are connected to or were soliciting from. In any event, the police are investigating something. It may be time to speak with an attorney. You may be in the clear, or, you may be a target. We cannot possibly know. An attorney who you can provide the facts to can give you a better idea of what might be happening.

Betterday

Guess I am just confused with what they would find with the cell records they are getting. Or say they are getting. I really don't want to cause alarm in my house or spend money currently. Guess nobody ever does. This is in a fairly small town so not sure where to turn for a lawyer.

xylene

You had a negative experience - up your privacy.

Get a new phone and a new number. Trash the phone the police inspected.

Be sure your new phone locks itself, that you keep it locked always when not using it - especially when riding in a car or walking around on the street.

Use a real lock password

Set the lock mode such that you can't answer an incoming call without entering the lock code.

Police often causally examine phones an their content with out a warrant for some sketchy reason - say no and use technological means ensure that sticks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">