• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

detective threatening my family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rick d

What is the name of your state?TX

I worked at a dealership in TX for 6 years and was fired actually accused of stealing money.A detective asked me to come in and give statement back in July.After speaking w/attorney,I advised him if he wanted to charge me,I would come in and he could get all the info he needed from my attorney.

In may while I was still employed at this dealership,my mother had an accident in a car she purchased there.The attorney said it would take 6-8 months to resolve as the insurance companies were fighting as to whether it should be totaled or not.

The used car director told me I could put her in a loaner car as I had worked there 6 years,this was not at all uncommon.Two weeks ago while at the credit union,a police officer noticed a tag out on the loaner vehicle.They called the dealer and after about 3 hours,the mgr who fired me showed up and insisted this was a stolen vehicle.The officers there told him it wasn't reported stolen so there was nothing they could do.He proceeded to tell them I was a drug dealer and had 3 of there cars and if they found me they would find the rest of his cars.Yesterday,the same detective who questioned me about the stolen money and was not at the credit union called my mother and told her he was going to get an arrest warrant for her and her boyfriend for having a stolen car and asked to have me call him.He was abrasive when I called and threatened that my mom would go to jail and it's my fault.He said he believed I was guilty because I didn't give him a statement and he didn't have enough evidence to arrest me back in july.The officers at the credit union said the manager was going to be magnanimous as he couldnt report the vehicle stolen after the fact.Can the detective do this or is he just bluffing to try to scare my mom or me into admitting a previous crime I didnt
commit?

Thank You,
RickD

DSanders

Honestly im not a lawyer or anything, but you should try taking the offensive instead of being defensive if you know you havent done a single thing illegally. file a complaint against the detective, try and get some harassment charges on the used car dealer or just a restraining order. You dont want false aqusations hanging over your head, im sure they dont either simple as that.

JETX

rick d said:
The used car director told me I could put her in a loaner car as I had worked there 6 years,this was not at all uncommon.
Sorry, but it IS hugely NOT COMMON for you to have a loaner car out when you no longer work there!!
So, what demands did they make for the car to be returned?
And did you follow their demands?

He proceeded to tell them I was a drug dealer and had 3 of there cars and if they found me they would find the rest of his cars.
Gee.... you just kind of raced right on by that one, huh??
So, DO you have any of THEIR cars??

Yesterday,the same detective who questioned me about the stolen money and was not at the credit union called my mother and told her he was going to get an arrest warrant for her and her boyfriend for having a stolen car
If it was their car and if it was not returned when requested.... sounds reasonable to me.

He was abrasive when I called
Awwww.... I just feel so bad for you. Damn, abrasive cops!!

and threatened that my mom would go to jail and it's my fault.
Again, sounds reasonable... given what you have said in this post... and more importantly, what you have 'forgotten' to say!

He said he believed I was guilty because I didn't give him a statement and he didn't have enough evidence to arrest me back in july.
Again, from your post... sounds like a valid assumption to me.

The officers at the credit union said the manager was going to be magnanimous as he couldnt report the vehicle stolen after the fact.
Based solely on your post... correct. Apparently, you had permission to remove the vehicle(s) during your employ.... you just 'forgot' to return it/them when you were fired. :rolleyes:

Can the detective do this or is he just bluffing
You bet your ass he can do it.

to try to scare my mom or me into admitting a previous crime I didnt commit?
First, he isn't trying to get you to ADMIT to any crime. He is only trying to talk with you about it.
Second, and as already noted, your reluctance to even talk with the detective doesn't go far to show you are 'concerned' about your claims of innocence. A truly innocent person would have nothing to fear from their interview.... and even more so since you already have an attorney who can 'guide' you during the interview.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">