• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I slander someone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elizabeth38

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

The man who stole my daughter's birthday presents (documented and proved) was at my neighbors house to purchase a uniform, (we live in military housing) I asked him, in front of my neighbor, if he was going to pay for them or steal them, did I slander him? My husband's company commander said that I did. Can I be sued? Later that same day his wife threatened me with physical violence for that statement. She was arrested. I am not going to press charges because I did say it, but could she have used that statement as a defense? I have never previously said anything to either of them, and have put up with rude statements and hand signals when he drove by my quarters.

Thanks

JETX

If in fact he did steal the property claimed, your utterance is not defamation, since the truth is an absolute defense.

However, I strongly suggest you cease making such claims that someone has committed a criminal act. If you are sued, the simple fact that you made that claim would be slander per se and could lead to large montary award and punitive damages against you. At the very least, you would be out several thousand dollars in trying to defend yourself against such a suit.

E

elizabeth38

Thank you for your response, the presents were retrieved from his quarters, so I guess I have obviouse proof. I will of course not make anymore statements, however justified I feel.

Thanks again

I

IgnorantWT

If she has said it once but you insist that she doesn't do it again, then why wouldn't it be slander the first time she claimed the statement toward him? And, why can't she keep repeating the statement if it is true? Slander per se? How can that be? The fact was documented. Why can she be punishable? I have a similar post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">