• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did a wrong thing for the right reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruskincanal

South Carolina

An employee left a company due to the fact that the employer stop paying him and owed him over $5000 in back wages. I stayed with the company for several more months hopeing to get my back owed payroll. The former employee asked me to take some company property to recoup some of his back wages. $500 worth of equipment. The company found out. They have filed charges against that employee for receiving stolen property. I am soon to be charged with petty theif. The employee plans on pleading not guilty when it goes to trial. How should I plead?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Perky

South Carolina

An employee left a company due to the fact that the employer stop paying him and owed him over $5000 in back wages. I stayed with the company for several more months hopeing to get my back owed payroll. The former employee asked me to take some company property to recoup some of his back wages. $500 worth of equipment. The company found out. They have filed charges against that employee for receiving stolen property. I am soon to be charged with petty theif. The employee plans on pleading not guilty when it goes to trial. How should I plead?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Before you do anything else, get an attorney and ask him/her how you should plead.

anearthw

Get a lawyer.

If you think you did this for "the right reasons" then you certainly need a good attorney. :cool:

Oh, and expect your co-worker and his attorney to attempt to throw you under the bus for this. He is going to plead not guilty? So, is he going to pretend this merchandise suddenly appeared - or is he going to blame you for everything? Do you see what is happening here???? Another reason to have a good attorney.

I don't see this being a "right reason" at all. So, see an attny. I'm sure others (ie jurists) would have the same viewpoint.

CdwJava

I have to agree.

Your friend, the former employee, may simply offer up a defense that you showed up with this wonderful item that he wanted and you GAVE it to him. He may well testify that he assumed it was a gift or that you told him the company gave it up as an apology, or some such tale. In any event, it is very likely that he is not going to stand up and admit to putting you up to this as that may well implicate him. His attorney will likely point the finger at you alone.

So, as others have stated, get an attorney ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">