• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gijoeyo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was arrest on disorderly conduct, and spent the night in jail until i saw the judge the next morning, they let me go and said dont' get in trouble for 6 months and the case will disappear..what exactly does that mean? this was my first time being arrest, and I had a clean criminal record at the time.

donkort

You probably got an ACD

From what I read, you probably got an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD). This means that the case was adjourned for six months, by which time, if you haven't gotten in trouble, that your case will be dismissed and sealed--which means, legally, that you have no conviction, and no record even of the arrest. It's as if, legally, nothing occurred at all.

Just don't do anything foolish, and you won't have a criminal record, or even a violation record (disorderly conduct is a violaton in New York State). Having a criminal (or even a violation) record carries a great burden for one with such a record, especially in this day and age.

SmokeEdge

Even if he was given an ACD,there will still be a record of the arrest,Just because the case is dismissed and sealed only means in court records,not police records.They would still have a record of the arrest being made.

You Are Guilty

Even if he was given an ACD,there will still be a record of the arrest,Just because the case is dismissed and sealed only means in court records,not police records.They would still have a record of the arrest being made.
Technically correct, (and if he was fingerprinted when he was booked, those remain in the system), but he can legally answer "No" if asked whether he was ever convicted of any crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">