• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly Conduct, Kansas, Diversion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDS

What is the name of your state?
Kansas
On the Saturday Night before Easter Sunday I went to a Local Bar and Grill to have dinner between 7:00 and 7:30 pm. I had a beer, ordered Dinner and Iced Tea, ate dinner and had another beer talking to friends and then went home between 10:00 and 10:30 pm. The Bar and Grill is about a two minute drive from my apartment and I was by no stretch of the imagination, intoxicated.

The next thing I remember is the Police wakeing me up in the Parking lot right outside my Apartment door and an Ambulance being there. I remember parking in my usual spot, closing the MoonRoof, rolling up the window, turning of the radio and stepping out of the car. Then, the Police were walking me to an ambulance. I think somebody jumped me and knocked me out, but I honestly can't say that for sure. I just know I wasn't drunk and the injuries I sustained aren't consistent with just falling down. I had two black eyes, a gash on my chin, cuts, scrapes and bruises on both sides of my face, my right hand and arm was scraped and bruised from knuckles to elbow on top and bottom. There was a verticle straight line cut in the back of my shirt about 8 inches long. Now, in all honesty, I've been drunk and fallen down before, but unless I fell off the roof of the building I just don't see how all that is possible.

Nevertheless, I was taken to the hospital, they put seven stitches in my chin, wheeled me back out to the Police car then cuffed me and told be I was being arrested for Disorderly Conduct. I asked the Officer why I was being arrested and she replied 'because you were laying in a parking lot unconscious and bleeding'. Then, they took me to Jail.
I called a friend to post my $250 bail and the following Monday I went to the Police Station to obtain a copy of the Police Report. (I was knocked out for some time and I have no recollection other than what I've already mentioned). Apparently they can't release Arrest Reports to the General Public, so I had to get a Lawyer.

My Lawyer told me he was going to place it on the Plea Docket and told me not to appear in Court which was Scheduled for May 18th, so I didn't.

Today I get a letter from my Lawyer telling me, "The report and witness statements support the contention that you were disorderly. In fact, I believe, they could have charged you with something more serious. I recommend that you apply for diversion."
I don't understand. All I did was go to dinner and have a couple of beers!

Sorry this is so long but it's the only way I know to tell it.
I guess my questions are:
1. Doesn't applying for Diversion imply that I'm admitting guilt for a crime? (which I'm not prepared to do)
2. If, in fact, I apply for and am granted Diversion on a Disorderly Conduct charge, what exactly does that mean?

Thank You for your time.
JDS

Happy Trails

JDS said:
What is the name of your state?
Kansas
On the Saturday Night before Easter Sunday I went to a Local Bar and Grill to have dinner between 7:00 and 7:30 pm. I had a beer, ordered Dinner and Iced Tea, ate dinner and had another beer talking to friends and then went home between 10:00 and 10:30 pm. The Bar and Grill is about a two minute drive from my apartment and I was by no stretch of the imagination, intoxicated.

The next thing I remember is the Police wakeing me up in the Parking lot right outside my Apartment door and an Ambulance being there. I remember parking in my usual spot, closing the MoonRoof, rolling up the window, turning of the radio and stepping out of the car. Then, the Police were walking me to an ambulance. I think somebody jumped me and knocked me out, but I honestly can't say that for sure. I just know I wasn't drunk and the injuries I sustained aren't consistent with just falling down. I had two black eyes, a gash on my chin, cuts, scrapes and bruises on both sides of my face, my right hand and arm was scraped and bruised from knuckles to elbow on top and bottom. There was a verticle straight line cut in the back of my shirt about 8 inches long. Now, in all honesty, I've been drunk and fallen down before, but unless I fell off the roof of the building I just don't see how all that is possible.

Nevertheless, I was taken to the hospital, they put seven stitches in my chin, wheeled me back out to the Police car then cuffed me and told be I was being arrested for Disorderly Conduct. I asked the Officer why I was being arrested and she replied 'because you were laying in a parking lot unconscious and bleeding'. Then, they took me to Jail.
I called a friend to post my $250 bail and the following Monday I went to the Police Station to obtain a copy of the Police Report. (I was knocked out for some time and I have no recollection other than what I've already mentioned). Apparently they can't release Arrest Reports to the General Public, so I had to get a Lawyer.

My Lawyer told me he was going to place it on the Plea Docket and told me not to appear in Court which was Scheduled for May 18th, so I didn't.

Today I get a letter from my Lawyer telling me, "The report and witness statements support the contention that you were disorderly. In fact, I believe, they could have charged you with something more serious. I recommend that you apply for diversion."
I don't understand. All I did was go to dinner and have a couple of beers!

Sorry this is so long but it's the only way I know to tell it.
I guess my questions are:
1. Doesn't applying for Diversion imply that I'm admitting guilt for a crime? (which I'm not prepared to do)
2. If, in fact, I apply for and am granted Diversion on a Disorderly Conduct charge, what exactly does that mean?

Thank You for your time.
JDS

Kansas Plea Agreement

You Are Guilty

And how about sharing the rest of the story... like what, exactly, you did that you "can't" remember. (What does the police report and witness statement say?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">