• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly Conduct, or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TJR

Maine:
The police had made two stops at my rental home (address above) in Maine, on Monday/Sunday early morning, around 1:00 regarding a noise complaint. I rent this property to my son, there were four people inside talking, partying and playing music. My son was told by the office that an anonymous call came in, and that is what the officer was responding to. My son turned down the music and closed the windows, and the officer left. The Officer came back again with another officer (house is only about 5 mins from police department), a short time later, and told my son that they received another call, but also indicated that he was just sitting up the street for awhile listening, and could hear the noise.

The officer began asking my son multiple questions, and my son 'had an answer' for everything. The officer than asked if he (and his roommate) would like to go to Jail. My son answered no, but said he didn't think he was doing anything wrong, didn't believe that a call was made because his aunt lives on one side of him and his grandmother on the other side. If they wanted to complain, they would have complained to him or called me (his mother) not the police department. My son went on to state to the officer that "Sorry, but I am alot more afraid of my mother than I am of you".

The officer was offended by this and indicated to my son that he is 'now on his radar' and the officer left the premises.

The next day the officer goes to my son's place of work and issues him a disorderly conduct summons? Shouldn't that have happened at the time of the complaint while the officer was at the residence? There was no warning given to my son. This seems like the beginning of 'being on his radar'? Is this something that would be considered a valid complaint to the chief of police? Since the police ALWAYS win, what can be done?

seniorjudge

Q: The next day the officer goes to my son's place of work and issues him a disorderly conduct summons?

A: If you say so. What was the statute number?

Q:Shouldn't that have happened at the time of the complaint while the officer was at the residence?

A: They have a year within which to file such charges.

Q: Is this something that would be considered a valid complaint to the chief of police?

A: No.

TJR

Disorderly conduct, or not

Zigner, you sound like a police officer. Not everyone is a follower and only speaks if it is what someone else may want to hear. It wasn't mouthing off, it was indicating to the officer that he wasn't quite right, which in turn pissed him off. Aren't they 'trained' to not lose their cool so quickly, simply because someone disagrees with them?

I thought this might be a helpful sight, for advice not judgement, but as usual it is just full of people that have no helpful information, just their own judgement. In no way do I condone disrespect. Not to anyone, but especially not to oneself. If you don't speak up when you know you are being wrongfully accused that is the worst disrespect of all, and is why law enforcement always gets away with whatever they want to. It seems that you probably have never stood up for yourself.

TJR

SeniorJudge, I don't know anything about a statute, but other than that, thanks for your replies. At least they were helpful

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner, you sound like a police officer. Not everyone is a follower and only speaks if it is what someone else may want to hear. It wasn't mouthing off, it was indicating to the officer that he wasn't quite right, which in turn pissed him off. Aren't they 'trained' to not lose their cool so quickly, simply because someone disagrees with them?

I thought this might be a helpful sight, for advice not judgement, but as usual it is just full of people that have no helpful information, just their own judgement. In no way do I condone disrespect. Not to anyone, but especially not to oneself. If you don't speak up when you know you are being wrongfully accused that is the worst disrespect of all, and is why law enforcement always gets away with whatever they want to. It seems that you probably have never stood up for yourself.
Oh BROTHER! The time to argue this sort of thing is NOT standing outside with the officer.

davew128

I'm not a police officer and if the kid said it to me, he'd be missing a few teeth afterwards. They were up at 1am and being loud. If I was their neighbor, I'd have called the cops too (and have in my neighborhood).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">