• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly Conduct Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Q-Ball

Recently 2 of my friends and I pulled a dumb college prank and were charged with theft and receiving of stolen property in the state of Pennsylvania. When we went to court we were given two options:
1. $300 disorderly conduct charge
2. Admit guilt to the two previous charges and be put into a program in which we would do community service and be put on 6-12 months probation after which everything would be wiped clean from our records.

At first we went with the second option but now after thinking more about it the disorderly conduct seems to be the best way to go. We contacted our lawyers and they said we can still switch. We were told that even a speeding ticket would violate probation and all of our charges would be brought back so we think that disorderly conduct is the safest way to go.

Could someone please advise me if this would be the better thing to do?

R

RedneckRoy

You got jello on the brain boy. You tell that fancy lawyer of yours that you want disorderly conduct asap. Having that on your record is nothing. You can get one of those having a bbq in the backyard.

Q

Q-Ball

The only thing we were worried about is if it shows up when employeers do background checks, but today we called a whole bunch of businesses and the only ones that said they may even consider it before hiring would be a delivery business or any type of job where you get paid to drive.

racer72

Disorderly conduct is kind of a catch all charge for doing stupid things and getting caught. I was cited in San Diego for disorderly conduct for picketing at a BeeGees concert (Disco Sucks!!!) when a couple of idiots started hassling the folks going to the show. I was still able to obtain a top secret clearance from the US Navy despite that. It is about the lowest level misdemeanor one can be charged with.
I knew a guy that received a citation for disorderly conduct for passing gas. He was in an elevator in a Tacoma Washington building and 3 guys in suits got on the elevator. Between the 6th and 1st floors, he let loose and it was a little more aromatic than he anticipated. On the first floor, all 4 bailed out as quickly as possible and headed for the exit. One of the suits took the guy aside and told him they were waiting for the police to come. A cop showed up and gave him a ticket for disorderly conduct and told him he was lucky he wasn't arrested for assault. One of the suits was the mayor of Tacoma and he apparently did not care for the whif of jif he received.

kat1963

And in the future should you want a government job or other position requiring top secret security clearance or heck even a security clearance the answer would be what? Should you get stupid and do that again (or anything else really) you want to go into court already having a *record* or rather a clean one? Do you really want anything on your record even if it is for a disorderly? How many times in your life do you want to explain this away?

Take the PBJ and be done with it. Get it out of your life instead if it lingering there like a wart. Because in 10 years you will figure out you should have taken the offer because now you need to go back to try an get it expunged...time/expense. Take care of business man and do it now. Taking the easy way out, is not necessarily the best way. NOTHING that is worthwhile in life is ever easy.

There is so much competition in the work force today, you don't want something like this being held against you...even if it is stupid, it makes you look the same way...you don't want that.

Lets see, I own a computer business and I have two applicants...

KAT

Q

Q-Ball

kat1963 said:
And in the future should you want a government job or other position requiring top secret security clearance or heck even a security clearance the answer would be what? Should you get stupid and do that again (or anything else really) you want to go into court already having a *record* or rather a clean one? Do you really want anything on your record even if it is for a disorderly? How many times in your life do you want to explain this away?

Take the PBJ and be done with it. Get it out of your life instead if it lingering there like a wart. Because in 10 years you will figure out you should have taken the offer because now you need to go back to try an get it expunged...time/expense. Take care of business man and do it now. Taking the easy way out, is not necessarily the best way. NOTHING that is worthwhile in life is ever easy.

There is so much competition in the work force today, you don't want something like this being held against you...even if it is stupid, it makes you look the same way...you don't want that.

Lets see, I own a computer business and I have two applicants...

KAT
Think about it though would you rather take a disorderly and not have to worry about anything or take probation and worry every time you go somewhere. Right now its not worth it to me to be going down the road and break the speed limit by 5 miles an hour then get a ticket as well as having my other 2 charges brought back. I've never had a speeding ticket in my life but I have had plenty of other tickets for my car and the thought of something like that screwing up the rest of my life seems to be a little bit worse then just a disorderly conduct.

kat1963

Then you know what? Someone has to flip those flesh burgers right? I'm trying to help you here and if you can't keep your nose clean for a year, hey, have at it. IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO OBEY THE LAW. Then when you get promoted to drive thru you might think back on this and consider that perhaps I was right...or maybe you won't really care, cause I know I won't...heck it's not my life.

I've done hiring and firing for many years as I still do today. I'm trying to save you. YOU asked a question. I gave you MY answer. You don't want to hear what I have to say because it might be a little bit hard for you....you already made up your mind, why did you ask the question?

KAT

nailtech

a year might be a good way to see if you can make an honest citizen out of yourself, stupid things happen, but its YOUR duty to make sure you have learned from it and never let it happen again... maybe you can keep your two friends out of trouble too... you can make it your personal goal.... God Bless you.. you were given good advice, hope you make the right decision, it will be a long time if you dont...

Q

Q-Ball

Its not that I can't keep myself out of trouble. The only reason I'm even questioning whether or not I should do it is because of that what if. What if something like a ticket does happen then they bring back all my charges... When I look at it this way it seems to be more beneficial to take the disorderly conduct. But if nothing did happen then I may be mad at myself for not doing the program and probation. Another thing was that I live in Maryland so any time I need to go home I have to get permission since I'm not allowed to leave the state. Honestly I know the best thing to do would be the program its just that when you factor everything in it may not actually turn out to be the best in the long run. My friend and I also contacted numerous businesses asking what they would do if someone who applied for the job had a summary offense. We called everything from computer businesses to insurance agents to real estate brokers the only people that said that they actually take it into consideration were places were driving was involved (delivery, home repair etc). I don't know if these were only the honest people or not but we have been doing everything we could to research the best option for ourselves to take.

Last edited:
R

RedneckRoy

Q-ball, don't let that Kat character scare ya none. She ain't living in the real world and don't know what the heck she is talking about. Boy, let me give you the skinny on how the real world works.

1. you take the probation and 6-12 months goes by, everything is cool, no hitches, no record OR you take the probation, somewhere down the line you spit on the sidewalk or something equally as ridiculous you get a A-hole cop and/or judge and back to jail you go. Violation of probation ain't gonna go away.

2. You take disorderly conduct, it's a BS charge. Sure enough it will be on your record but ain't gonna keep you from getting no job. Even one of them precious government jobs she speaks of.

Them are your options. If you go with option one and everything goes by without a hitch, then that would of been a good choice for you. But if things don't go smoothly and you spit on that sidewalk, you're gonna regret it for the rest of your life.

OR

you can go with option 2. Like I said before, it's a BS charge, it ain't gonna effect nothing and there ain't no gamble on regrets.

There ya have it. Only you can make the decision. And talk with that lawyer of yours, if he knows his stuff he'll tell ya how it is.

H

Humble Warrior

RedNeck is right.....take the disorderly hit,pay the fine....get on with your life. I live in Pa. too....let me tell you from 1st hand experience....Pa. DOES NOT PLAY GAMES.....if you get a ticket for jay-walking,you violated your probation,and you face no less than 45 days in the can.
take the hit.....no-body gives a flying F*** in a rolling dough-nut about a Disorderly charge....especially at your age.
Disorderly charges dont stick to your permanent record anyway. You pay the fine,and it goes away....it never hapened. (I have 14 of them....ex-wife....long story)
I have a TSSCI(Crypto-N.A.T.O.) security clearance. Even the government couldnt care less.
Dont sweat it kid.....take the charge,pay the fine.....go on with life.
TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">