• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disturbance/Noise Violation at Rental I recieved warning owner recieved fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Esnidy

Our group of friends rented a beach house in Newport Beach, CA for July 4th. Had some people over approx 20-25 the night of July 3rd. Cops came shortly after Midnight and claimed that someone down the street gave a call (could have just made that up as I felt like they were just patrolling) for a noise disturbance. The cop said that we were just receiving a warning and nothing would happen this time but the second time we would get a fine. Everything was civil with the police and we cleared out the place of our guests. I think everything is fine and a month later I get a letter about the disturbance warning and ONLY the disturbance warning.

Now here is the issue. A few days after that the owner of the rental calls me saying he was fined 1000. Cop never mentioned this would happen. He got a short term lodging violation. MC. 5.95.060 What I got was 10.58.010 , 10.58.020. Because of the rental agreement any citation the owner receives I am responsible for

Is the cop responsible for failing to mention the owner would be given a fine even when asked ? Is there anything I can do to fight it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Our group of friends rented a beach house in Newport Beach, CA for July 4th. Had some people over approx 20-25 the night of July 3rd. Cops came shortly after Midnight and claimed that someone down the street gave a call (could have just made that up as I felt like they were just patrolling) for a noise disturbance. The cop said that we were just receiving a warning and nothing would happen this time but the second time we would get a fine. Everything was civil with the police and we cleared out the place of our guests. I think everything is fine and a month later I get a letter about the disturbance warning and ONLY the disturbance warning.

Now here is the issue. A few days after that the owner of the rental calls me saying he was fined 1000. Cop never mentioned this would happen. He got a short term lodging violation. MC. 5.95.060 What I got was 10.58.010 , 10.58.020. Because of the rental agreement any citation the owner receives I am responsible for

Is the cop responsible for failing to mention the owner would be given a fine even when asked ? Is there anything I can do to fight it?
I would argue that YOU didn't do anything to cause the citation regarding the short-term lodging permit violation. YOU aren't responsible for the fact that the owner wasn't legally allowed to use the place as a short-term rental.

You can, and should, be held responsible for any fines due to police services at your large, loud party.

ETA: The police officer has no duty to advise you of any fines, even when asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">