• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Questioning my residency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johndew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Might be the wrong place, but I couldn't figure out where to put it.

I got a very peculiar letter from the DMV which stated (generally i don't have it in front of me)

"We have recieved information that questions your residency"

So they want me to call a specific person noted who is a dmv 'investigator' to schedule an appt.

My question is, before I call - what right do you think I have to whatever information led to this action? My first reaction is to politely request it simply asking 'why?' - then demand it, but not sure what to base it on.

I am absolutely curious as to why this would come up, I have lived in this state for about 4 years, pay taxes, own (mortgaged) property, pay income tax, etc.

I have to schedule an interview and provide a bunch of paperwork to prove my residency.

I could simply comply, which I likely will - but my #1 beef is why? Also I am not excited if I have to take time off of work for something like this!

Lastly who in the local/state government would you call to complain about something like this?

enjay

I wouldn't be very thrilled either.

I'd probably call and ask the investigator. If he wanted to meet with me, he'd do it on my terms. I'd guess that submitting whatever "proof" they want would close the inquiry.

Let's not forget that driving (DMV) is a privilege not a right. Go meet with them and don't make a big deal out of it. I bet if you handle it that way during the course of the interview you could ask what led up to them contacting you and likely get an answer.

Or you could make a big deal out odf it refuse to cooperate and see what happens.... :)

andrew1210

please let me know?

i have the same problem they hold my license and resident card in the dmv in georgia and give a number for the investigator to call i dont know what to do i dont commit infraction and they olso say the my license is active how is everything for you rigth now...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Might be the wrong place, but I couldn't figure out where to put it.

I got a very peculiar letter from the DMV which stated (generally i don't have it in front of me)

"We have recieved information that questions your residency"

So they want me to call a specific person noted who is a dmv 'investigator' to schedule an appt.

My question is, before I call - what right do you think I have to whatever information led to this action? My first reaction is to politely request it simply asking 'why?' - then demand it, but not sure what to base it on.

I am absolutely curious as to why this would come up, I have lived in this state for about 4 years, pay taxes, own (mortgaged) property, pay income tax, etc.

I have to schedule an interview and provide a bunch of paperwork to prove my residency.

I could simply comply, which I likely will - but my #1 beef is why? Also I am not excited if I have to take time off of work for something like this!

Lastly who in the local/state government would you call to complain about something like this?

FlyingRon

Please do not tack on to other peoples issues with new problems.

Where do you live?
If you don't live in Georgia, why do you have a Georgia license?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">