• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DNA for Diversion Program (Misdemeanor Petty Theft)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristianCruz

I was recently given a citation for a petty theft misdemeanor, for shoplifting in Orange County, California. I am not looking for pity for what i have done, it was stupid and completely my own fault. I have not yet been to my arraignment, but am curious of all of my possible options. Doing some research I've head of diversion programs offered and have contacted the county public defender for some consul (or council. sp?)

The reply I got from the public defender after inquiring about the diversion program was both interesting and bizarre. I was advised to wait for the deals given to me by the D.A. at my arraignment and to choose wisely or to plead guilty and get it expunged in three years (good advice, not the bizarre part). The public defender went on to describe one of the terms of the diversion program, which is providing a DNA sample for a database; Continuing on to say the Intent of District Attorney and the database was unclear and that my sample would not be protected by any laws.

Getting this reply made me feel like i just watched an episode of "Lost" (all of my previous questions were answered, only to be left with new questions). Anyways, to avoid getting too wordy (hah- too late), has anyone else heard of this ("DNA for Diversion")? Am I the only one who thinks that it is strange to give DNA in order to be accepted for this program?

P.S. I am interested in the diversion program because i would like to, if possible, get my misdemeanor reduced to an infraction. I am trying to turn over a new leaf by not being so lazy and contribute to society by getting a job. I feel like my previous work experience is not worth much with a misdemeanor on my record. Part of me wants to just plead guilty and get a job that will hire someone with a criminal record (i.e. McDonald's) until i can get it expunged.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

Sounds like a simple decision - give the DNA and have it added to the database and accept diversion, or refuse the diversion and suffer the usual consequences of your theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">