• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay damages to someone if i was only a witness to the crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjax87

Pennsylvania. So i was on a date with a girl and on our way back from the date she did not want to stop hanging out with me. So we decided to go for a joy ride with no particular place to go. Everything was fine until we stop in an apartment complex. I asked what we were doing and she told me she wanted to break her ex-boyfriend's car window. I thought she was joking until right before she did it. When i knew she was serious I told her that this was a bad idea and not to do it. Hell hath no fury... she does it anyway and we drive off. the next day she tells me that the police are looking for her and that she is going to make a police statement the following tuesday. Later on that day her ex-boyfriend contacts me through Facebook telling me that if i don't pay him $300 then he will press charges.

That Tuesday she went to the police station and admitted to the whole crime, telling the police that she did it and that i had nothing to do with it. yet, the ex-boyfriend still wants my money.

I really do not want any legal situation and want to know my options. Am I in trouble because I was there? any legal advice would be great

LdiJ

Pennsylvania. So i was on a date with a girl and on our way back from the date she did not want to stop hanging out with me. So we decided to go for a joy ride with no particular place to go. Everything was fine until we stop in an apartment complex. I asked what we were doing and she told me she wanted to break her ex-boyfriend's car window. I thought she was joking until right before she did it. When i knew she was serious I told her that this was a bad idea and not to do it. Hell hath no fury... she does it anyway and we drive off. the next day she tells me that the police are looking for her and that she is going to make a police statement the following tuesday. Later on that day her ex-boyfriend contacts me through Facebook telling me that if i don't pay him $300 then he will press charges.

That Tuesday she went to the police station and admitted to the whole crime, telling the police that she did it and that i had nothing to do with it. yet, the ex-boyfriend still wants my money.

I really do not want any legal situation and want to know my options. Am I in trouble because I was there? any legal advice would be great
Ignore the ex boyfriend. Do not ignore the police if the police contact you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ignore the ex boyfriend. Do not ignore the police if the police contact you.
Actually he should IGNORE the police. He is an accessory to the crime. He was part and parcel as guilty as the girl. He drove her to the ex boyfriend's. Drove her away after witnessing her commit a crime. And never reported it. Guess what? He can be found just as guilty as she is because he participated. He needs an attorney. And it is possible that he can be found to owe the ex boyfriend every bit of the money for the window because he is an accessory.

kjax87

Well she actually was driving me home. I was falling in and out of sleep I. The passenger car before we ended up at the house

quincy

I agree with Ohiogal.

Your excuse that you were falling in and out of sleep as a passenger in your girlfriend's car could perhaps be your defense (not a real good one ;)). But you should NOT explain this to the police if they contact you and question you about the vandalism. You were aware of the crime once it was committed and you failed to report it.

If contacted by the police, you should ask to speak to your attorney first - and then get an attorney to speak to.

kjax87

When she made the police statement she told the officer that I had nothing to do with it and that I tried to stop her right before she did it. She took complete responsibility of the crime telling them she was driving me home and yes, it was late so I was falling asleep. I understand his dilemma and I'm willing to work with him, but this honestly was not my doing. Just because I was there automatically makes me a suspect?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When she made the police statement she told the officer that I had nothing to do with it and that I tried to stop her right before she did it. She took complete responsibility of the crime telling them she was driving me home and yes, it was late so I was falling asleep. I understand his dilemma and I'm willing to work with him, but this honestly was not my doing. Just because I was there automatically makes me a suspect?
No...participating in the crime as the driver is what does you in.

FlyingRon

Even if you weren't driving, you were along for the ride and the crime. Lookouts are participants as well. If you're criminally charged shut up and get a lawyer. Your girlfriend is doing you no favors here. You will have to pay damages if you are sued civilly as well. The standard of proof is much less on civil charges (just ask OJ).

TigerD

Save the contact from the ex. If you get an attorney - make sure you give it to your attorney.

DC

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because people who report crimes would never do so to throw off suspicion...or fail to report them because they want no involvement whatsoever.
Irrelevant. You implied that I had said that failing to report a crime was a crime. I did no such thing. Just so we're clear ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">