• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have To Testify?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

calli87114

My ex-boyfriend has been charged with agravated assault and unlawful imprisonment, two felony charges. I am the witness in the case against him. I have a restraining order for one year and he can't contact me. Although he did physically restrain me, stopping me from leaving his home, and he pushed me around, he did not hit me. I need to know if I have to go to court to testify against him. Do I have a choice? If I don't show up at the grand jury hearing will I get into trouble? No date has been set yet. Thank you!:confused:

JETX

Your testimony is not protected since you are not married (and no, that is not a hint for you to get married). Therefore, you can be forced to testify as to your knowledge of the facts of the case. This pretty much falls to two separate steps; appearance and testimony. Your appearance can be forced by subpoena. If you don't show, you could be picked up and brought to court. Once in court, if you refuse to testify as to your knowledge, you could be held in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">