• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to get a lawyer? And Where?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acb550

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i'm in Wisconsin, but also New York

I was a teacher at a charter school in the Bronx (thus no union). I left the school to follow my wife out of state and the owner of the charter school was unhappy. (She has a history, not just to me of being cruel and vindictive-- if asked I can provide newspaper articles about a history of tension between staff and her and there was/is(?) at least one lawsuit filed against her by past staff). I thought everything was fine. I had students request to friend my on facebook. I know some teachers accept, some do not. I told my students to wait until they graduated, and if at that time, they wanted to be friends, I'd accept. Then I made a dumb mistake, I guess. In May, I started accepting friend requests-- I wanted to see them off in their senior year. I didn't initiate emails but I'd respond and ask about their college choices or how they liked prom, etc. I also came back from out of state to see them graduate. However, I was barred from graduation (taking place on a university campus). So I waited about 1/4 mile outside the building at the campus security checkpoint. 4 hours I waited for the graduation to finish so I could see and congratulate my students-- most of them I saw with their parents present. The head of school was not happy to see me. I received a letter in from a law firm representing the school that in my facebook I had inappropriate communications with student (and with one student I got too glib in answering questions about college, I admit, but nothing bad, nor did i ever condone or encourage anything illegal or harmful) and that coupled with my waiting at graduation posed a harmful threat to students. Even though the students and parents were happy to see me and I even signed a yearbook (mom was present). I was told my actions are being investigated, and they will be cooperating with the police and I am to never set foot at the school or be in contact with any student etc. Do I need a lawyer? Would I need a NY lawyer or WI (current state I reside) lawyer? Can this go to my record? Who would I ask to find out? The school isn't answering me and neither is the school's attorneyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You don't need an attorney until the police start asking questions, you're served with legal documents (subpoena, complaint, etc.), or unless you've done something illegal. Chances are, the school is just trying to scare you, or they suspect you've done something improper.

Facebook is not illegal, nor is communicating with former students. I don't think you have much to worry about.

If for some reason you need an attorney, I'm guessing the investigation will occur and charges will be filed in New York. So, you'd need a New York attorney, as that individual is licensed to practice law in the State of New York.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">