• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to pay the settlement to Palmer, Reifler, & Assoicates, P.A?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoveMeEmily

Do I need to pay the settlement to Palmer, Reifler, & Assoicates, P.A for my petit theft charge?

About 2 weeks, I was arrested at Walmart for shoplifiting. (Yes, I know its bad and I am completely in the wrong.) I have learned my lesson. Anyways, I was caught shoplifiting at Walmart. The police were called, I was arrested and went to jail. I was charged with petit theft to the second degree, first offense. My bond was 500 dollars and it was paid full in cash that day and I was released.

I have a court date in exactly one week from now and I havent heard from my PD or anything. Today, I received this letter from Palmer, Reifler, & Assoicates, P.A saying that I need to pay a settlement of 200 dollars in 20 days. The thing is though I havent even been to court yet nor have I been contacted by my PD or anything. Im not exactly sure what do at this point.
Thanks in advanced for any help

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Do I need to pay the settlement to Palmer, Reifler, & Assoicates, P.A for my petit theft charge?

About 2 weeks, I was arrested at Walmart for shoplifiting. (Yes, I know its bad and I am completely in the wrong.) I have learned my lesson. Anyways, I was caught shoplifiting at Walmart. The police were called, I was arrested and went to jail. I was charged with petit theft to the second degree, first offense. My bond was 500 dollars and it was paid full in cash that day and I was released.

I have a court date in exactly one week from now and I havent heard from my PD or anything. Today, I received this letter from Palmer, Reifler, & Assoicates, P.A saying that I need to pay a settlement of 200 dollars in 20 days. The thing is though I havent even been to court yet nor have I been contacted by my PD or anything. Im not exactly sure what do at this point.
That's a civil demand, not criminal, though it is related to your criminal activity. :cool:

TigerD

Read it carefully. Discuss it with your attorney.
If you have not applied for a public defender, you don't have one yet. Go to the PD's office and apply.
Do nothing with that settlement until you talk to your attorney.

Paying the settlement could be an admission of guilt.
Again - talk to your attorney. (See a pattern here?)

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">