• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I really need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jax

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was recently arrested on warrants from 1999, almost 7 years ago. The warrent was for Battery/Simple-Statue S784.03 and Criminal Mischief ($200 or less)-Statue S806.13.
I was never arrested on the charges and was unaware of the entire situation until I was arrested yesterday. I have read that the statue of limitations for any misdeamenaor offense is 2 years. If this is the case, shouldn't these charges automatically be dropped when I appear in court or should I seek legal representation to make sure that I am cleared of the charges. This incident happened 7 years ago and I was never arrested on assault charges. I am currently active in my commuity as a coach and fear that an assualt charge may interfere with my ability to keep coaching. What advice can you offer?

weenor

Get a lawyer. The SOL relates to the time between the alleged crime and when the charges and warrant are issued. The warrant tolled the SOL so you can be convicted.

jax

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that as long as the warrant was issued within 2 years, it doesn't matter how much time has passed when you're actually served and arrested?

weenor

jax said:
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that as long as the warrant was issued within 2 years, it doesn't matter how much time has passed when you're actually served and arrested?

Yep********************************************************

weenor

That will depend on the facts and circumstances of your case. DA's will usually deal, but will deal better with a criminal defense attorney rather than an unrepresented party. Since you have something at stake, spend the money and get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">