• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do sex offenders have parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbullemer

My ex husband is a sex offender who touched a 13 year old girl. He is due to get off parole in a year. He has let me know in no uncertain terms that he will exercise his parental rights and visit our kids when he is free. Is this possible? We were divorced before the incident occurred, fortunately I insisted that the divorce decree state that he is allowed strict visitation (I will be present at all times and at no time will he be allowed to be alone with either child) and that the sessions will be set up at my discretion. My question is, because of his conviction, will he be allowed to see our kids at all? Also, what kind of provisions (other than what I have already set forth) should I set forth in the divorce decree?

CdwJava

My ex husband is a sex offender who touched a 13 year old girl. He is due to get off parole in a year. He has let me know in no uncertain terms that he will exercise his parental rights and visit our kids when he is free. Is this possible? We were divorced before the incident occurred, fortunately I insisted that the divorce decree state that he is allowed strict visitation (I will be present at all times and at no time will he be allowed to be alone with either child) and that the sessions will be set up at my discretion. My question is, because of his conviction, will he be allowed to see our kids at all? Also, what kind of provisions (other than what I have already set forth) should I set forth in the divorce decree?
Unless the courts prevent contact as a result of the custody and visitation orders, or he is prevented contact as a result of conditions of parole, he will likely have a right to contact his children. Once parole expires, if there are not other court orders preventing contact, there will be no lawful way you can prevent him from having visitation with his children.

However, different states have some slightly different nuances of law so it would help if you post the name of your state as required by the site's TOS.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">