• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you think I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctalavera

This is what happened at a Burger King this weekend; please feel free to give me advise or suggestions....

I went to Burger King and when I left I accidentally left my purse there in the booth. We were about 60 miles away before I realized I left it there and immediately called them. When I called them to see if they found it, the girl put the phone down while she "checked". While I was on hold (still being able to hear everything in the background) I heard another employee in the background announcing he found a purse and if it belonged to anyone. It took a while for the girl who answered to come back on the phone. She said that they didnt have it and I asked about what I heard in the background about someone finding a purse there. They insisted it was a black purse, mine was bright pink (big difference-and there was never actually a black purse at all and I kept asking her if she was sure) and told me they didnt have it. I thanked her for checking and that was that. It pissed my boyfriend off and he said we were going back (a 50 min drive back)and so we turned around and then my bf stepped up for me. He said they were going to have a problem if they didnt give me back my purse. We didnt know for sure it was an employee until we noticed behavior from one of them and she gave herself away. The assistant manager could even look either one of us in the eyes while talking to us. The other employee got really nervous, we were there for a while and noticed she messed up several orders, was whispering and hiding in the back. The manager said it was our word against hers and my bf pointed at the camera that we were in complete view up and advised them we were going to file a police report (which we did afterwards) and have them review the survaillance tapes. So we waited there because we demanded the manager come up and review the tapes right then so we were just waiting. Then the nervous girl in the back went out the side door, and a minute later came in through the back door then 2 minutes later they gave me my purse back with no explanation of where it was or what happened, nor offered an apology, and of course they swiped my money as well. The regional manager should be calling me tomorrow and I was advised that the surveillance cameras showed this girl take my purse and went outside with it (probably put it in her car). She is getting terminated and they offered to give me my $ back which was $60 but I told them I will be consulting with a laywer 1st before I accept anything from them. If this is the quality of employees that work there, then should they even be handling food? Thier slogan of "have it your way" is also false advertising because my way does not involve theft and dishonesty. We gave them plenty of times to do the right thing and they did not. Do I have a case? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

I'd be talking to the police. But short of the return of the money, what civil settlement do you think you're entitled to?

What type of case do you want to have and what do you mean?

Do you have a civil case where a lawyer will take this case on contingency - I highly doubt it. Sounds like BK was diligent in their response and you didnt suffer much of a loss. I doubt the employee has anything to sue.

Do you have a small claims case? Not if you get your money back.

Either of those.. youre in the wrong forum.

Do you have a criminal case? That's not your case to have. You file your report and leave that case to the state. Theres surely a law or two she and potentially some other conspirators broke...one can only imagine since there is no state listed.

My advice is to move on unless the DA subpoenas you one day.

Last edited:

CdwJava

On the chance that the police DO find proof of theft and forward it to the DA, any trial will require you and your boyfriend to travel from wherever you live to wherever this occurred likely no fewer than two separate occasions. So, be prepared to be greatly inconvenienced if they do file. And that's fine, a thief should be punished, but be careful for what you ask for as it might be more than you bargained for.

There is some good advice here. Video is your friend+++
The district mngr should make things right for you in a very timely manner. If not, his/her job will be on the line.
Realize that you left your purse and the drive time is on you whether they had been honest or not. You were going to have to drive it anyway.
You can also count on the mngr being replaced. District mngrs can't afford dishonesty in their mngrs in any cash business.
As for your money; ~$60 is reasonably believable and shouldn't be much of an issue for the dist mngr. They may need you to sign something. Don't make too much of an issue of that. I imagine that they might have a BK closer to your location.... or a fax might surfice.
If you do have a problem with the District mngr, then call corp.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">