• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does anyone know what age you can leave home without being considered a run away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scooterpooter

What is the name of your state? illinois

My girl friend is 15 and she wants to know if she can leave home when shes 17 without being considered a run away? does anyone know about this please help

HomeGuru

scooterpooter said:

My girl friend is 15 and she wants to know if she can leave home when shes 17 without being considered a run away? does anyone know about this please help
**A: and why would she do such a thing?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Listen carefully to the Cellos and Violas

Wednesday morning at five o'clock
As the day begins
Silently closing her bedroom door
Leaving the note that she hoped would say more

She goes down the stairs to the kitchen
Clutching her handkerchief
Quietly turning the back door key
Stepping outside, she is free

She,... (we gave her most of our lives)
Is leaving (sacrificed most of our lives)
Home (we gave her everything money could buy)
She's leaving home, after living alone, for so many years (bye bye)

Father snores as his wife gets into her dressing gown
Picks up the letter that's lying there
Standing alone at the top of the stairs
She breaks down and cries to her husband
"Daddy, our baby's gone.
"Why would she treat us so thoughtlessly?
How could she do this to me?"

She,..(we never thought of ourselves)
Is leaving (never a thought for ourselves)
Home (we struggled hard all our lives to get by)
She's leaving home, after living alone, for so many years

Friday morning, at nine o'clock
She is far away
Waiting to keep the appointment she made
Greeting a man from the Motor trade

She (what did we do that was wrong)
Is Having ( we didn't know it was wrong)
Fun (fun is the one thing that money can't buy)

Something inside, that was always denied, for so many years,..
She's leaving home,..bye bye.

JETX

scooterpooter said:

(750 ILCS 30/3-1)
Sec. 3-1. Minor. "Minor" means a person 16 years of age or over, and under the age of 18 years, subject to this Act.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: does anyone know what age you can leave home without being considered a run away?

JETX said:
(750 ILCS 30/3-1)
Sec. 3-1. Minor. "Minor" means a person 16 years of age or over, and under the age of 18 years, subject to this Act.

My response:

JetX, I'm somewhat confused by your cite to the above code section. If a "minor" means a person 16 years of age or over, what to they consider our writer's 15 year old girlfriend? A potted plant?

IAAL

S

scooterpooter

arent you supposed to give me advice, not ask me questions?

I only ask you a simple question if your not willing to answer that then thats ok dont go asking me stupid question that you dont need to know

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: arent you supposed to give me advice, not ask me questions?

scooterpooter said:
I only ask you a simple question if your not willing to answer that then thats ok dont go asking me stupid question that you dont need to know

My response:

Hey ScooterGrunt - -

Nobody was asking you anything. Read the posts again. I was asking contributor JetX, not you.

Learn to read.

IAAL

M

momof3kiddos

I believe the writer was referring to Homeguru asking him why his girlfriend would want to do such a thing (as runaway)?

The best info I can find is that any child under the age of 18 is considered a minor, and therefore would be considered a runaway. I did find, however, that in the state of Missouri, a child can leave home at the age of 17.

Maybe you could call a local teen crisis hotline and just ask them what the legal age to leave home is in Illinois? Good luck.

JETX

Re: Re: Re: does anyone know what age you can leave home without being considered a r

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:
JetX, I'm somewhat confused by your cite to the above code section. If a "minor" means a person 16 years of age or over, what to they consider our writer's 15 year old girlfriend? A potted plant?
IAAL
You wouldn't be confused if you looked up the statute that I cited.

You would have seen that I simply 'excerpted' the portion giving the age (rather than to try to provide the entire long statute).
As I see it, the law says that no one under the age of sixteen has the right to attempt emancipation, and without that, the child is a minor until the age of 18.

This is covered under Illinois Compiled Statutes, Emancipation of Mature Minors Act 750 ILCS 30/, found at:
http://www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/ilcs/ch750/ch750act30.htm

D

DIRTYS_TROUBLE

get serious!!

ok, i have been where your friend is, but i WAS 17 and in tx. to make a long story short, my aunt took me to legal aid so as to not get my father arrested since i would be leaving with him, i was told that it was o.k. basically. i left tx and went to missouri and later my mother sent me a notorized affidavit of emancipation, basically stating that i was on my own and no longer her responsibility. like i said, it was to make a long story short so if things are left out, i did that on purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">