• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domesic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Martie

My estranged husband violated his restraining order by breaking into our home. He was caught with a handgun after the searched him. His vehicle was also searched. I was asked to sign a declaration giving permission to search our home which I did. However, in the past they refused to do so. Anyhow they are now charging him with several felonies, which violation of the restraining order isn't one. I was later questioned by the DA's office and conversation recorded. I just received a supobena from them were they want me to testify against my husband. I do not want to because I think it's a bad deal. Is it legal for me to take the 5th amendment, is there something I can do to not have to testify against my husband. I live in California.

Please any advice that you can give me I'd appreciate because my court appearance is soon to come.

Martie:(

calatty

Under California Evidence Code section 970, you have the privilege not to be called as a witness and not to testify against your husband. You have to still be married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">