• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Violence Case in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WallFlower

What is the name of your state? Missouri
In the state of Missouri, once the police know what has occurred, there are no options left to either party, as far as whether charges want to be pressed or not. The state presses charges and decides what those charges are.
I am not the aggressor in this case, but someone very close to me is. Someone who's been there for me through everything, and I for him.
I gave my account of the situation when they asked. I was scared and didn't know what was going on, I didn't know my rights. I wasn't read my rights before I said anything (if that makes a differnce, not being the one who charges were filed against). Of course, my cooperation is used against him, and this is not what I wish to happen.
I want to see him receive a verdict of "not guilty" and I want to know what I (as the so-called "victim") can do about it. I know that purgery is not an option, nor doing anything that would hold me in contempt of court. Is there any way that my statements can be dismissed or unallowed as evidence? Perhaps by way of the fact that I was not told my rights?
Is there another way to have these charges dismissed, reduced, or found "not guilty"? They're trying to convict him of two felonies. He thought, in all honesty, that I was attempting to kill myself. There were horrible miscommunications; I didn't call the police, but he did. Unfortunately, that got him in trouble when they found out what happened that evening.
Both of us feel powerless in this case and I wish I had a say in it. I just want to do anything I can to make sure this doesn't ruin college for him, or his career. I would prefer him to get "not guilty" or case dismissed, but even a reduction in charges is something!
I hope this is enough detail. ANY advice at all would be much appreciated!What is the name of your state?

CJane

You don't need to be read your rights if you're not being arrested, so no, you can't have your statement thrown out.

Your 'friend' needs an attorney, and then his best hope is probably to seek a diversion/probation - though with 2 FELONY charges, that's unlikely to work.

And um... don't expect anyone to believe that he was just trying to help and got slapped with felony assault charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">