• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Violence with criminal charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Audrey1111

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachuestts
I hope somebody can help me. I was attacked in my home by my (now) ex-boyfriend in December 2004. I called the police as I was in fear for my life. My ex- fled the scence before the police showed up - however he knew they had been called. The police charged him with assault & battery, though I didn't cooperate completely as I was scared and in shock. There were "no visible signs of injury," as was noted in the police report - but the way in which my ex harmed me was not in a place where I would show police. He pulled me by the hair and bent me over my couch so the couch was digging into my lower abdominal area -- which was particularly hurtful as I was one week away from having major surgery in that area -- so I was already in pain in that area before being attacked. He was screaming and raging at me, threatening me with "worse harm" stating that he wanted to hurt me.
I applied for and was granted a restraining order. 12 days after being attacked by him --> after my he had been arraigned on the police charges of assault & battery -- and after a hearing that he was present at for the restraining order HE FILED FALSE CHARGES OF ASSAULT & BATTERY ON ME FOR THE SAME INCIDENT. This was allowed to happen somehow -- and right in front of the Clerk Magistrate my ex's lawyer stated that "his client does not wish to be here and he would drop the charges against me if I would refuse to testify on the police charges against him." This seems like an admission of guilt and coersion -- but somehow IS LEGAL.
I am now faced with spending all kinds of money on legal fees DEFENDING myself against false charges that HE put on me in attempt to get me to walk away. I feel like I've been victimized by HIM and by the court system.
What I'm told by my lawyer is that he will probably walk away with a "not guilty" finding as I had "no visible signs of injury." My lawyer feels that I will be found "not guilty" too. I am HORRIFIED that this was allowed to happen. I want to know what I can do about this.... I am being subpeoned to testify against him in the police charge of assault & battery and I want very much for him to be held accountable for HIS ACTIONS. I am the victim here and I'm now in the "system" as a CRIMINAL......

Help please!!!! Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
By the way -- my ex- has had restraining orders on him in the past (at least 1 that I know of) and he has some type of criminal record though I don't know what....

It's further complicated as we work in the same place -- and my employer is not doing anything to help me. I have missed alot of work as I am terrified of him.

Sorry this is so long - there's just so much information regarding this issue - and I left alot out!!
Thanks for reading this.............

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">