• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know where to turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spydabit

I was offered a deal if I cooperated with authorities. I have never been charged or convicted of a crime before. I accepted the deal and was promised a 6 month probation and the ability to return to my profession. I ended up with 45 days (suspended), 3 yrs. probation, (18 mos. supervised) and multiple other penalties even though I was only charged with one misdemeanor. During the entire process, I was never given my rights by anyone. While in court, the Assitant DA read out incorrect charges, argued with my lawyer when he tried to correct her, had to send out an assitant to find the DA to tell her what the correct charge (singular) was and made several defamatory statements in the interim. I was never given the opportunity to make a statement before I was sentenced. I would never have agreed to the plea if I had been told the truth about the sentencing. I feel as though I have been railroaded and I don't know where to turn. Also stipulated in the sentence was that I can no longer work in my profession of 15 years, but that I had to be employed. Please, can someone out there help me? I live in NC.

[Edited by Spydabit on 11-19-2000 at 05:08 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to hire a lawyer and tell him/her all of these:

When you plead guilty, you must be told of all constitutional rights you would be giving up; and you must knowingly, intelligently understand this.

Also, if the plea terms wind up different than to what you agreed, you may have reversible error.

Try attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

As to the defamatory statements, all courtroom talk during the trial/prelim/plea process is immune from defamation.

S

Spydabit

Reply to lawrat

I have an attorney who knows all of the info. He seems unable or unwilling to defend me as promised. This is a very small town and the Dr. involved is very wealthy and well connected. Multiple lawyers have refused to speak to me after finding out that this Dr. is involved. Where do I go from here? There are multiple authorities that should be contacted (DEA, NCVMB) but I am now afraid anything I say will just dig this hole (for me) deeper.

N

nuyuky

If you really want to kick some a__, listen carefully. You have constitutional rights. This is obvious. You need to understand those rights by reading and making notes. Start by reading anything you can get your hands on concerning constitutional law. You have a right to contest the legalities of the establishments processes. Use the FOIA Act, and start requesting documents that show that these monkeys have no legal status. Grand jury challenges, etc. etc. . I am only givng you information on your constitutional rights. Use those rights. Good luck. By the way, you know your case better than anyone, so if you educate yourself a little in the processes of law and understand how it works, then you will be effective as that attorney. The key to success is to be consistent and never give up. Again, good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">