• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double Murder Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shonnette

What is the name of your state?

Michigan

Is there anyway a statement can be thrown out in a murder case? Also I hear a lot of bad things about court appointed lawyers, would it be wise to get one in a case like this? I wanted to know because my brother is being charged for a murder he didn't commit....he was there when it happened and didn't know it was going to happen. The police picked him up for questioning a few days ago and after a lot of scare tactics he signed a statement admitting he was there. Other then this they have no other evidence on him. They have the other people that were involved and found all of the evidence at the other's house. I'm the only person in my family that can help my brother, I'm in college and have no money. So I'm really stressing over what I should and can do. I would greatley appreciate your advice.

calatty

His admission can be excluded from the trial if it was not voluntarily and intelligently made under the law, like if the police did not read him his rights, or made untrue threats or promises. I don't know about public defenders in Michigan, but in many states they are mostly very good lawyers. An attorney assigned to do a double murder will be one of the most senior people in the office and will have a large amount of experience. Public defenders get a bad reputation from criminals who place the responsibility for their convictions upon their attorneys instead of themselves. They also don't have the time to sit and hold the client's hand and talk to him for hours and console his family, but they do get the job done.

Calatty

It's funny you should mention that about public pretenders. Because you know my brother is going through his third one due to their lack of willingness to defend. At my brother's last hearing he had filed to go pro se, they will not even let my brother do that, at least he would get the motions filed.

I have NEVER heard a person talk good about a public defender, someone who actually even SEES his clients, or even investigates the case like they should... Let alone talk to the family... They don't give us the time of day, but yet we will be the first they go to for some kind of direction on the case...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">