• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drinking Age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaker

How has the drinking age of 21 not been overturned? If you are over the age of 18, then it can't be argued that the bill of rights does not protect you.

Bill of Rights - Chapter 2 Section 9
"The state may not unfairly discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth."

Would it be challenged more seriously if they changed the age to 25? What about 30?

It seems like blatant discrimination based on age to me.

Does the end really justify the means? What are we setting a precedent for?

If a case like this went to the supreme court, what kind of logic might they use to uphold the drinking age of 21?

Raptoer

The purpose of this forum is giving legal advice, not discussing laws. That being said I know of no legal document called "Bill of Rights" that has a chapter 2 section 9.
The first ten amendments of the constitution are referred to as the bill of rights, however they are not officially named so.

There is no federal drinking age, it is a state issue, it just happens that it is the same across all 50 states (pressure from the federal government in the form of highway money).

CdwJava

If a case like this went to the supreme court, what kind of logic might they use to uphold the drinking age of 21?
Because it is not a right supported by the Constitution. Please show me where it is indicated that one has a right to consume alcohol at any age.

It is not discrimnatory to establish age laws for many things - school attendance, curfew, smoking, drinking, driving, sex, own property, even vote, etc.

- Carl

FlyingRon

The purpose of this forum is giving legal advice, not discussing laws. That being said I know of no legal document called "Bill of Rights" that has a chapter 2 section 9.
Further, there is no part of the constitution that has the text the OP posted.

The text and section number appear to refer to the constitution of the nation of South Africa.

When googling, you need to realize the internet is a global thing.

Blaker

Because it is not a right supported by the Constitution. Please show me where it is indicated that one has a right to consume alcohol at any age.

It is not discrimnatory to establish age laws for many things - school attendance, curfew, smoking, drinking, driving, sex, own property, even vote, etc.

- Carl
We're not talking about the difference between adults and minors, we're talking about blatant age discrimination against adults (18-21). All of your example have to do with minors/adults... You made a horrible analogy, sorry.

Blaker

You don't have the right to consume alcohol in the constitution, but you do have the right to equality. The definition of discrimination doesn't differentiate between age and race. This is comparable to not allowing a certain race to consume alcohol. The only justification for this blatant discrimination is "the end justifies the means"

Silverplum

You don't have the right to consume alcohol in the constitution, but you do have the right to equality. The definition of discrimination doesn't differentiate between age and race. This is comparable to not allowing a certain race to consume alcohol. The only justification for this blatant discrimination is "the end justifies the means"
You are banging on the wrong door.

We don't give a rat's nose about whether or not you are allowed to drink sooner. :rolleyes:

Contact your state reps, tell them ALL about it. In excruciating detail, please.

seniorjudge

One time when the drinking age was 18 years of age in Louisiana, I crossed over from Mississippi and bought all that I could carry out of the store.

Oh...I mean...MY FRIEND did this and told me about it later.

seniorjudge

Where on earth did you get the idea that "discrimination" was illegal?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">